My first car- airbags question

When you anger your parents they can legally take your car away. Seriously though. Can a 17 year old title and register a motor vehicle in NJ?

I see that too all the time. Owners of 4 cylinder econo-boxes think their car will do 140 or 160 because its right there on the speedometer.

Iā€™m getting ready to drive my ā€œ150mphā€ 2010 Kia Forte SX to the grocery store. If there is no traffic I will be able to reach the 35mph speed limit. I was surprised that Road & Track got 134mph out of one. Iā€™m skeptical concerning 0-60 in 6.9 seconds with the 6sp M/T. Mine has about the worst shifter ever. I call it my ā€œJ.C. Whitney specialā€.

Didnā€™t we have somebody asking that question a few months ago?
Perhaps it was in a different forum, but I definitely recall someone who posted something along the lines ofā€¦There must be something wrong with my new xxxxxmobile, because the speedometer reads up to 140 mph, and I canā€™t get the car to go faster than 105.

VDC, your are correct it was this forum.

Thank you for confirming that, Volvo!
From the '70s to just a few years ago, I was repeatedly referred to as ā€œThe man who remembers everythingā€.

So, if I did recall that post correctly, I guess that I still have a few functioning brain cells at 69 years of age.
:smirk:

2004 Mazda 3;

ā€œbut on 4th gear my car probably only can get to 100 mph most likely redlining the engine when it obviously says on the dashboard my car can top out at 140 mphā€

In 1983, that Firebird came with a 190 hp 305 V8 giving a 0-60 time of 8.8 seconds and would hit 128 mphā€¦ THAT was ā€œperformanceā€ in 1983. And 16 mpg if you were lucky. The Mustang that year was comparable. Most other cars took 11 seconds 0-60 or longer. The 350 wasnā€™t available until later, 1988 I believe, and only with the automatic transmission, FWIW.

My 1992, 124 hp Saturn SC2 did 0-60 in 8.3 seconds or so and but topped out at 118 mph. Got 40 mpg, too.

Thank you, Nevada!

My Honda accord gets to 60 in 8 seconds, and even with lead foot driving in town I get 20mpg. With 4 people and a full trunk it easily hits 30 highway. Perfectly fine and fast for a first car, as well as having a touchscreen built in to the dash. Sounds like something similar to an accord would suit you nicely.

Web site from down under comparing a 1998 vs 2015 Corolla, no air bags vs airbags. Fatal vs minor injuries.

Consider getting a newer car with air bags

Very true, if you happen to get involved in certain types of crashes youā€™ll likely to come out in worse shape in a non-airbag car. Saying a relatively modern but non-airbag car is a ā€œdeath-trapā€ seems a little over the top. But thereā€™s no denying air bags are very effective for certain types of crashes.

Well no doubt. Thatā€™s why I ainā€™t gettinā€™ the Third Gen until for a few years later, where I can work on it as a project car and convert it to KITT slowly in the near future.

As long as you and your parents are on good terms, I see no problems. You seem to have a good relationship with your parents.

Iā€™m going to stop reading. No better answer is possible. Hope the kid takes it to heart.

1 Like

Taking into consideration all your folks advice roundā€™ here, Iā€™ve decided to getā€¦aā€¦

2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i! Though I sure as hell would love a Trans Am right now, I think Iā€™ll wait a few years before going for it, all I really want to do is make it a project car and turn it into KITT in a few years when I can with my dad. So thanks guys, I appreciate the answers!

1 Like

I watched that show one time and felt 30 minutes were lost that I could have done something useful , like sort my sock drawer.

If you love repairing cars, go for it. Just keep in mind airbags save lives.

You know, Iā€™ve been getting a lot of negative vibes from you through this forum here, this thread especially. I look at all the replies and for some reason you strike me as someone I wouldnā€™t like talking to.

Just putting that out there.

1 Like

Yeah but the thing is as Bruce Williams the radio talk show host used to say, ā€œwould you rather I tell you the truth or lie to you?ā€ Maybe a little negative at times but gotta look at the message more than the messenger.

1 Like