My engine oil dipstick melted. Why did this happen? What should I do?

Did you watch the top video all the way till the end when the lights turned off?? Nothing spontaneous about that… lol

But yeah I agree, be careful… Also be careful using a razor blade on an aluminum surface to clean it, you can gouge it if not carful…

Yeah, I did, probably was an alcohol flame…

1 Like

I just bought and put in a new stainless steel engine oil dipstick.

I think i want to go back to plastic because it was easier to read at night time underneath a street light. I like to be able to check my oil at night because I drive a lot with Uber at night.

Do you guys have any suggestions for being able to read the steel dipstick at night time underneath a street light? I couldn’t see the brownish color of oil against the steel color.

I may buy another plastic tip.

The small holes in the plastic tip make it easy to see where the oil level is even at night.

Use the light on your smart phone??

Maybe try a SHARPIE Pro, can handle up to 500F???..

When the engine oil is newly changed I have a tough time seeing the level on both of vehicle’s dipsticks, even in the daylight. Sometimes I can orient the dipstick surface to the sun so the oil creates a pattern or shine. If not, I’ll rub my finger from the dry part of the dipstick toward the oily end. I can feel where the level is that way. Only downside, finger gets coated with a little oil.

I wonder if there’s a prudent way to create some small holes along the end of your steel dipstick?

I’ve already posted this previously but here it is again but with photos…

Now go get yourself a triangular file, not a “nail file…” If you have one good, if not; since you only need it once, borrow one or buy a cheapie from a hardware store…

As I wrote previously, change the oil and ensure that the correct amount is put back into your crankcase…

Now, assuming that your new Dipstick is reading correctly, file a notch in the dipstick as indicated in the photo… It is now visible day or night…

If the dipstick is not reading correctly, then when the engine is cold, take a reading and file a notch when the oil film on the dipstick indicates FULL. As for the LOW mark, the dipstick gradient between full and low is probably pretty close so notch the dipstick that much lower for the low mark (probably about 1/2-inch…). Remember, the low mark is nearer to the tip…

1 Like

I would leave one quart out and measure for the bottom notch (add mark 1 quart) and mark it then add the remaining one quart and then mark and notch the full mark…

1 Like

I would buy a factory dipstick and assume it’s correct, after comparing it to the old one.

1 Like

Instead, I recommend using an LED light that one can place on their head, like this one. I always use one when checking my oil and other fluids, and it is really helpful when doing repairs around the house.

2 Likes

I agree, but most of Americans have a smart phone in there pocket/hand at all times, but not everyone walks around with a light on their forehead…

Carelessness

No argument there, but most of us only have two hands, and… somehow… I think it is at least a bit problematic to hold a phone in one hand while checking the oil with the other hand. Unless you can grow a third hand for wiping the dipstick, you just might run into a hand shortage. :wink:

Edited to add…
I keep one of those LED “head” lights in my glove box, and I have a couple more in my home. Even if I’m not walking around with one, I am rarely very far from one that I can easily grab.

2 Likes

I have put mine in my work shirt pocket many times with the light on to see, mainly while walking the dogs at night, but you could also put the phone in the front of your paints to hold it or paints pocket, just have to think outside the box… But your way is easier by far…

Agreed, your proposal will give the most accurate mark. I considered it, but then decided that very few folks will wait long enough for that “next to last” quart to drip all the way though the engine. If they do not wait long enough, they will get a false “low” oil mark…

For the most accurate marks, not involving asking an OEM parts department to show the OP a stock replacement and actually measuring the distance from Full to Low on a new one; I would ask the members if anyone of them had my year, model, and engine, and ask them to photograph their dipstick tip against a ruler to get the exact measurement…

I went out to my wife’s '85 Corolla and photographed the AT dip stick because I knew it was notched as I suggested the OP do to his dipstick…

However, I doubt that anyone has the patience of Skidboots, his patience is most apparent starting at 3:00… Enjoy…

But again, with all that being said, I agree your method is the Most Accurate!

1 Like

In the you made me look category.
Checked the GF’s 07, Camry 4 cylinder dipstick, metal all the way down. Heat shield is present.
My first thought, plastic dipstick, what the heck? Then remembered my lawn mower’s dipstick is all plastic. Don’t know, but suspect that the air cooled, two cylinder, lawnmower’s oil gets to a higher temperature than a water cooled four cylinder.