My Dads Oil Change Theory

You could let it drip even longer if you wanted to. You wouldn’t believe the amount of oil that is still in the engine when the pan drips out. Unless you remove the oil pump, you will never get that out unless you crank the engine and wait two minutes for the oil to drip down into the pan. It doesn’t seem like much unless you’re cleaning it off the floor with a rag or three.

I used to like to change the oil after the car sat for weeks while I traveled. The filter is definitely in a messy place, and is horizontal to the ground. If it doesn’t drain completely, a mess comes out. The filters say they have an anti-drain valve, but every make of filter I have tried drains out almost completely overnight.

Since I no longer leave the car in the States when I visit Mexico, I change it the first thing in the morning without running it at all. 184,000 miles so far.

I agree that the 20 second rule is harmless, but not necessary either. For horizontally mounted filters, I fill it up by pouring oil into it. The oil spreads out through the media and leaves the filter only half full. Then I mount it and it doesn’t make a mess.

The only reason to follow your father’s 20 second rule is because it’s your father’s advice. Giving your father the satisfaction that you’re listening to him and respect his opinion is priceless. I didn’t learn that lesson until it was too late.

I agree. There are so many surfaces that " hold" oil that it’s impossible to drain completely. I don 't believe it helps to tilt a car in the direction of a drain plug as that could be counter productive to an engineer’s intent of changing on level ground. The only tilting I have had succes with was jacking a car (older) up at the front to aid bleeding air out of the cooling system when changing the antifreeze. Otherwise, just drain warm motor oil till it stops dripping, much, and move on with your life. Filing the filter when possible is good too " same".

Dear old dad, has another oil change fetish…why not the same concern for draining any fluid, like you bladder ?

Sorry JT, I’m reluctant to drink alcohol while working on cars. I’m the guy who would then forget to tighten the drain plug.