My Boyfriend drives me to distraction

imp, I know we are probably out of line dispensing medical advice, and we are probably way off base, but that was my way of showing how ridiculous it is for the OP’s boyfriend to drive that way. If he doesn’t have a medical issue, he has no business driving like an idiot.

imp, that reminds me of a time I saw a belligerent drunk pick a fight with everyone who walked by. Nobody beat him up or called the cops, but everyone had a good laugh at his expense as they watched him stumble and make a fool of himself.

1. what are you talking about?

2. if you can’t distinguish between hyperbole and a lie, well, fine.

3. didn’t we cover this on the first page?

4. feel free to have the last word.

I have peripheral neuropathy and it is quite pronounced in my big toes and the ball of my feet but have no problem moderating brake pressure. There is, however, a problem when driving an unfamiliar vehicle. When lifting my right foot off the accelerator to brake I often drag my foot under the brake pedal if it is higher than the vehicles that I am accustomed to driving. In unfamiliar cars I sometimes brake with my left foot to avoid missing the brake in an emergency situation. But certainly, conditions vary.

Wow. You flagged VDCdriver’s post as “inappropriate” just because you didn’t agree with him? That’s underhanded troll-like behavior.

Don’t forget the tractor …

Reminds me of the story of a student who just wanted tell us they had a nun in grade school…

When driving my truck, I use my left foot to brake without any issue.
Left foot braking is also a good idea when driving off road. It gives you more control under slow, precise driving conditions.
Just saying it’s a bad idea without cause is like saying being left-handed is wrong.

“My Boyfriend drives me to Distraction”.

I googled “Distraction” and could not find the place. Distraction must be very small and probably has very little to do. I think you should either get your boyfriend to drive you to New York, Boston, or some other exciting place where there are things to do or else get a new boyfriend. I can’t imagine that there is much to do in Distraction.

Is this an internet forum, or a congresional hearing??

On the contrary! Distraction has so many things to see and do, so much going on, why, one can hardly focus and is quickly well… um… you know.

I’m with you, dag. Was thinking the same thing as I read all these ludicrous comments about ‘the brain needing time to adjust’. The brain adjusts in MICROSECONDS, and if it didn’t none of us would be driving anything! I have days switching between heavy equipment, with control levers set up literally backward of what I just operated. I can brake left or right footed, by choice, and prefer left mostly. But then, I can also steer with my knee and shift with my left hand if I choose.
People are capable of more, but as the saying goes- ‘rise to the level of their incompetence’.

Forgot to mention- I didn’t grow up with a nun in school OR a boat, OR a drunk on the corner. But I learned to drive on logging roads at the age of eight in a 1959 Chevrolet 1 ton dump truck that had the starter on the floor next to the gas pedal, and you had to press the starter with your toe while pumping the gas with your heel as you worked the choke lever in and out with your hand until the engine fired up. And it was a manual transmission without synchros so you generally had to double clutch every shift.
So, maybe my brain had a head start…

Ah–my mistake. Distraction must be the vacation capitol of the world. She needs to keep her boyfriend, driving habit and all so that she can be driven more often to Distraction.

I think the boyfriend needs to somehow change his driving habits a bit.
Braking with the left foot is not the issue. Many people use this method with no problem and I’ve been doing it for many decades without a hitch.

I also understand where you’re coming from about the brake pedal stabbing and being thrown into the windscreen. (although not literally)

My wife drives like this and it irritates me to no end. She will approach a stop sign out here in the sticks and will not brake from 60 MPH until she’s less than a block away from the stop sign. Even strapped in by the shoulder harness, I have to plant my feet against the floor and/or place my hand(s) on the dashboard because if feels like I’m about to go headfirst through the glass.

This always leads to the proverbial comment about “there’s nothing wrong with my driving” even though I said nothing.
Words that do not exist in her vocabulary include “coasting” and “gradually”.

Since nerve impulses travel at less than 200 mph, the brain most certainly does not adjust in MICROSECONDS, or even microseconds.

You don’t have to work blue.

Yeah, well, I used to drive the tractor that towed the Saturn V the two miles from the VAB to the launch pad. Seriously, all this talk of many men driving complex vehicles reminds me of the story of Milton Berle and Tom Jones. You’ll have to google that on your own.

p.s. that seems like a stupid place to put the starter.

Just like braking with the left foot, it’s easy to make yourself sit perfectly still while someone does a bad job of coming to a known stop. That might teach the lesson to the driver more effectively because when the stop comes you will actually move. Try to have an open room temperature beverage in your hand.

You don’t “have” to do anything.

I had to come back and look at what possibly could be causing this thread to keep going and the result was not unexpected.