My 1999 volvo s80 timing belt failed

Who is responsible for the early failure of my timing belt for 1999 volvo s80?

bought car in 2001. 2002-2008 repair costs are $1805.35, $3428.79, $4246.06, $3579.00, $2653.85, $3976.50 and $3434.69 respectively at Stillman Volvo. Car has been maintained and serviced based on their recommendations. Car had 210,000 miles and was brought in for 105,000 interval service and was recommended timing belt replacement. Total bill was 3200.18 for timing belt and related parts, ac compressor and misc services. Car broke down 3000-4000 miles later, apparently because front tension pulley broke and caused timing belt to skip and thus, catastrophic engine damage. Car was towed to independent import repair place because I was on highway, far from home. They informed me that it is Volvo’s fault. Volvo quoted $5000 plus for repair and would only give $1500 partial credit. I do not trust this dealer any longer.

First question…At 105,000 miles when the timing belt was changed did they replace the tensioner pulley? If not, it was 210,000 miles old and probably due to fail.

Good luck - yes, they should have replaced the pulley, yes, I think it’s their fault, that and $5 will get you a cup of coffee. Pursue all avenues with the dealer and Volvo, may have to go to small claims court…

Car purchased and serviced at this dealer since 2001 and YES, this dealer replaced my timing belt at 105,000 mile interval; tensioner pulley was NOT replaced at the time. We always adhere to the recommended service schedule and pay WHATEVER they recommended. Goes to show cost and quality do not always correlate.

If your belt was 7 years and 105,000 miles old, it was due to be changed again and it is your fault. If you had 210,000 miles on the car and brought it in for its second 105,000 mile service and then 3,000 miles later the belt broke (like I think you’re saying), you have a reasonable argument with Volvo.

I don’t know how successful you’d be getting Volvo to goodwill any more of the work, though - I’d be interested to know whether the shop manual the dealer uses recommends replacing the pulley and whether that was done.

The $3,500 work from Volvo is probably for a new engine. You should be able to repair or replace the engine for less than that. I see you’re thinking of getting a new car anyway based on your post about Acuras, but if you like your Volvo otherwise, you could probably replace the engine for a lot less than Volvo is charging.

Whatever you decide, stop getting all your work done at the dealer. You didn’t say what work you were having done, but the $23,000 you supposedly put in could have bought you a brand new car. Find a good independent shop, and only visit the dealer if the prices are better or you’re having warranty work done.

I would have sold this POS years ago. You could have bought a couple new cars for the amount of money you’ve put into this thing. This sounds like one of the WORSE dealers I’ve ever heard.

I’d get a lawyer FAST. I believe the Volvo dealer is at fault. Also in the future…find a good independent mechanic. I can’t believe that any car needs this much service in just a short period of time. You’ve spent more on this car then my wife and I have on all the cars we’ve owned in the past 30 years 9COMBINED). And many of these cars went well beyond 250k and some beyond 300k miles.

Contact Volvo of America. Usually dealer repairs carry a 1yr/12000 mile warranty for parts and labor. This is one benefit of using a dealer or AAA approved garage.