Musry smell in my 2012 Toyota Camry

I have had some success using Ozium, at least two cans, one sprayed into the cowl intake with the system set on outside air with the A/C running the other with the A/C set to recirculate with the air coming out the dash vents and spraying the Ozium into the floor vents/ Shampooing the front carpets can also help.

Thank you! Will try that! :blush:

Sanitizing the A/C system will have no affect if the odor is coming from the carpet. If you experience the odor before you start the engine it is unlikely the the source of the odor is from the A/C system.

1 Like

Oh my! Hmmm… thank you ! Will check that out. :slightly_smiling_face:

There is a recall on that model that may fix the musty smell as well.

The A/C drain hose can clog, which causes water to build up and develops mold (musty smell). This can be serious because it can leak into the airbag module. A short circuit can cause the airbag to deploy.

https://vehicleidentificationnumber.com/2012-toyota-camry-car-recalls-clogged-a-c-drain-may-cause-air-bags-to-deploy/

1 Like

OMG! How did I not see that! Thank you so much. :blush:

If you, or someone you know, is handy, this is easy to fix. There is a drain tube (and usually box) that must be cleared. I don’t know this model, but it’s usually dirt and moss (and maybe organic material) that clog the drain. Use a good flush, or a bit of wire, to clear the drain. Flush with water to make sure it’s flowing. Use paint (POR?) to touch up if there’s any rust.

It’s the same process used to clear all auto drains… including doors.

If there was an actual factory recall, have the dealer do it. It’s free, and it’ll be recorded for your car, important when you want to sell it.

Thank you so much!!

Great! Thank you

Hi Wendy, did you find out where / what the smell coming from?