MPP Warranty for used car

The point I’m making is $800 is TOO expensive. Maybe if it was around $200 - then it might be worth it.

The other problem is that MPP could be one of the many scammers in the industry, making $1 too much to pay.

"The other problem is that MPP could be one of the many scammers in the industry, making $1 too much to pay"

Exactly!
Starman may have lucked-out with his aftermarket warranty, but the fact remains that the attrition rate for these companies is extremely high. All too many people have bought one of these insurance policies, only to have the company go belly-up w/in a year or two–with their money.

And, those companies that have not gone belly-up typically have so many weasel clauses in their contracts that many people wind up receiving only pennies on the dollar for repair costs that they have incurred–if they get paid at all.

Additionally, as Ken Green pointed out, despite the assurances from these companies that they handle payment to your mechanic, in reality few shops will allow you to leave without paying the bill yourself. Then, you may get reimbursed, or you may not, or you may wind up receiving…literally…pennies on the dollar.

The only extended warranties that are worthwhile–IMHO–are those that are issued by the vehicle manufacturer.

The only extended warranties that are worthwhile--IMHO--are those that are issued by the vehicle manufacturer.

Most of the so-called manufacturer warranties are NOT insured by the manufacturer. They are underwritten by one of the big insurance companies. All-State and State Farm are huge in this are of insurance.

Last I knew All-State had at least 20 different separate companies that sold this type of insurance.

I’m not sure if my protection plan was underwritten by another company, but it was provided by Toyota at a Toyota dealership in a certified used Toyota. I think the original posters option might be similar, as it is on a certified used Honda.

Dealing with the policy I have has been a breeze, unlike insurance processes similar to those described earlier. In the past it has gone as follows:

I drop my car off at the dealership for routine maintenance.
An hour later I get a call
– “Such and such on your car needs to be repaired. This will cost X dollars. What do you want to do?”

• “I have the extended protection plan”
    – "We will get that fixed. Your car will be ready in about 2 hours"
    Done.

So many comments since I last visited the thread. Thanks for pouring in your comments. MPP is Mechanical Protection Plan. Their website is http://www.mpp.com/.

When I meant “force”, they literally mention that Honda’s 1 year 12K miles warranty on certified car is useless for normal wear and tear issues. They play with words like “Honda will repair only issues pertaining to manufacturer defect, workmanship, or parts because of normal use”. They stress the word “normal use” as if we are going to drive in some extra terrestrial terrain or climate. If nothing is going to be covered, then why do they provide that useless warranty?

It would help If Honda could clarify on such things. I’m trying to find a Honda phone number to talk about this.

Thanks everyone again.

I drop my car off at the dealership for routine maintenance. An hour later I get a call -- "Such and such on your car needs to be repaired. This will cost X dollars. What do you want to do?" - "I have the extended protection plan" -- "We will get that fixed. Your car will be ready in about 2 hours" Done.

Again…you’re one of the very very few who’s actually had to use the extended warranty.

Just based on our last 6 vehicles…we didn’t need any repairs until well past 150k miles. My wifes 96 Accord had a total of $4 in repairs for the 240k miles we owned it.

And again, Mike, just trying to get information out there. Let any readers know that the manufacturers warranties are not full of hassle like these other forms of insurance.

You are also in a minority - most cars will need some repair in 150k miles.

You are also in a minority - most cars will need some repair in 150k miles.

Maintenance yes…repairs…NO. Unless the vehicle is abused. And of those repairs…they are NOT anywhere near the cost of those extended warranty plans - which only covers UP TO 100k miles. If there’s a manufacturer that consistently makes vehicles that need $1000 in repairs for it’s first 100k miles…then I’d find a different manufacturer.

The MMP Warranty does not cover wear idems, it is no different than any other extended warranty.

The “Plaitnum” plan;

Items not covered:
Unless required in connection with the repair of a covered part due to failure, the following
are not covered under this agreement: engine tune-up, suspension/wheel alignment,
wheel balancing, filters, lubricants, engine coolant, fluids, air conditioning recharging,
spark/glow plugs, brake pads/brake linings/shoes, and manual clutch disc lining, or any
maintenance services and parts described in the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule for
your vehicle.

Other parts not covered are glass, lenses, light bulbs or lamps, tires, wheels, wheel covers,
hard and soft trim, weather strips, convertible or vinyl tops, moldings, bright metal, sheet
metal, body panels, body parts, bumpers, chassis frame, cross members, body rails, body
hinges, carpet, upholstery/headliners, paint, belts and hoses, exhaust system (except
exhaust manifolds), catalytic converter, brake rotors and drums, shock absorbers, spark/
glow/plug wires, batteries, hybrid/lithium/high voltage battery pack, battery cables,
keys/key fobs/transponders/keyless remote switch, wiper blades or inserts. In addition,
correction of air and water leaks, wind noise, squeaks and rattles, and contaminated fuel
systems are not covered.

“When I meant “force”, they literally mention that Honda’s 1 year 12K miles warranty on certified car is useless for normal wear and tear issues. They play with words like “Honda will repair only issues pertaining to manufacturer defect, workmanship, or parts because of normal use”. They stress the word “normal use” as if we are going to drive in some extra terrestrial terrain or climate. If nothing is going to be covered, then why do they provide that useless warranty?”

…or in other words…like virtually every other vehicle manufacturer’s warranty!

@v-rachen, unfortunately you have fallen for some double-talk that is designed to hoodwink people who don’t know what warranties normally cover and what they normally don’t cover.

Wear and tear is rarely covered by any warranty–be it from the mfr or from an aftermarket company, and be it the original/basic warranty or an extended warranty. If you read the warranty details on virtually any make of car, you will see that what I am saying is true. The only exception of which I am aware specifically is Subaru, which does warranty brakes and rubber items like wiper blades for 3 years. There may be one or two luxury brands that do this also, but I can’t give you specifics.

And, as Nevada_545 has pointed out, that MPP warranty doesn’t cover wear and tear items either. I’m really glad that you came to this forum for some straight talk, and now–perhaps–you won’t believe everything that comes from the mouth of a car salesman.

@VDCdriver Thank you.

All too many people have bought one of these insurance policies, only to have the company go belly-up w/in a year or two--with their money.

Or change names under the same owner. Instead of Freddy Mac it’d open up under the new name Fanny-Freddy and go back to charging stupid amount for their insurance policies