MPG in the winter

@BillRussel, You could certainly run an experiment of sorts to answer your question. Add a block heater, add an oil heater…and let us know what effect it has on raising your MPG.

Of course, from a practical point, you have to consider if the electricity used by the heaters exceeds the fuel saved!

The same mountain bike
If you think you’ve contributed anything, well you haven’t.

Ouch. Yet another attempt at levity falls flat.
Tough crowd.
It’s gotta be my fault. I’ll have to tweak my style to try for more clarity and less subtlety.
Sometime after I get back on the Pc and off this stinking little tablet, which won’t even permit me to format properly.

meanjoe: don’t have any place to plug them in, park on the street.

Even if I did, how do I keep them powered while driving?

b

Uh, you plug em in when parked. Once running, the engine provides the heat (obviously)…

That was point about a valid experiment: if pre-heating the engine causes the MPG to go up to Summer levels, you then know the MPG penalty is largely associated with bringing the car up to temps, and little penalty once warmed (which was what you wanted to know.) If the MPG hit persists, you need to look elsewhere!

Add extra fuel at the intake ports.

Thank you. MPG then goes down.

"I personally have no direct experience with the boneheaded negligence mentioned above, nosirreee. Just sayin… "

Auto-owner, you definitely may want to tweak your style. You could start by not referring to the posts of others in such an insulting manner. Calling people’s ideas “boneheaded negligence” will not gain you any friends. Doing it sarcastically goes even one step further.

However, I commend your posting back to smooth things over. It takes a big man to do that.

Have a great evening.

the same mountainbike
Calling people’s ideas “boneheaded negligence” will not gain you any friends. Doing it sarcastically goes even one step further.

The boneheaded negligence was meant as a reference to my own neglecting to remove cardboard blocking the radiator. I used to do it too.
My message just lacked clarity.

No problem. Clarification made all the difference.
It takes a big man to step forward and adjust his mistakes. A tip of the hat to you.