Moving from California to North Dakota

Years ago when I worked for Digital Equipment I went to a seminar in CA on the introduction of DEC’s new chip the Alpha chip. At the time it was the fastest chip (by a very large margin) over anything else. This was a very big deal.

Well the key-note speaker was from Boston and people in the audience kept laughing at him when he said Alpha. People from Boston pronounce Alpha as “Alpher”. Unless you’re use to the accent you might have a hard time understanding them.

Tom and Ray have a slight accent. But it does show up every now and then. A couple of times they’ve mentioned the town Peabody - which Bostonians pronounce as Peebady.

Not just accents…but actual words - such as Grinders (aka Subs) or Jimmies (aka Sprinkles). And don’t order a MilkShake from a non-national chain. Milkshake is milk that’s shaken. You have to order a Frap if you want ice-cream added.

No problem. Its a movie that’s hard to appreciate. It also depicts a lifestyle that’s hard to imagine.

Speaking of chips…the OP will have to get used to the fact that chips in N Dakota, come from the back of a cow or bison.

Yosemite

I think that, like virtually all movies done by the Coen brothers, either you “get it” and like it, or you don’t “get it” and don’t like it. I don’t think that there is much middle ground of opinion regarding their films.

Good morning – you’ve given some good tips to the OP for preparing for ND winters, but since then things have drifted off. Could you please bring it back on-topic? Thanks.

only someone from new England would say tom and ray have a slight accent. :slight_smile:

only someone from new England would say tom and ray have a slight accent. :)

Compared to some people I work with…theirs is very slight.

Agreed, Carolyn, and I would like to post the offer to the OP to feel free to get back to us when he/she gets to ND for more advice on prepping the car. It really does get bone-cold up there, and it really does affect vehicles.

One added point regarding a 115VAC engine heater for the nights, without one the vehicle will have a difficult time getting hot enough to use the defroster. That’s a real safety issue. Cars that have been soaking at -40F ambient all night need help beyond what they get in lower latitudes.

I remember when JFK referred to America as Ameriker. That was my first exposure. But sneakers and soda are dead give-aways. Cold enough for ya?