Moving from California to North Dakota

I gave this a little thought (now my head hurts ). I would keep the Volt, make quick friends with a neighbor or co-worker that knows how to navigate during the winter and next spring make a decision about the vehicle choice. The tire stores there will be able to provide guidance for tires.

Tirerack.com or 1010tires.com could be a big help with that tire choice.

@caddyman

Looks like the Volt automatically starts the ICE when the temperature is below 26 degrees F. to provide heat. So most of the plug-in electric features are lost below that temperature…

Just keep the tank full because it may be running all night. So I guess a block heater is not needed. The ones I have had try to keep the engine at 35deg. Sure many people have 4wd vehicles, made it through fine with 2wd pickup truck and all season radials.

Barky, that doesn’t apply when the key is in the OFF position.
An engine heater is still needed.

RajaC, once you get to North Dakota, check with the nearest Chevy dealer about winterizing your Volt. I did look up several Chevy dealers there: http://www.puklichchevrolet.com/, http://www.kupper-chevrolet.com/, and http://www.rydellchev.com/.

The Chevy dealer here in Fairbanks Alaska sells them, so I would bet they would be OK there.

Good luck with your move.

Air force has a reason to be there. But now there’s this oil thing going on.

When I go into the snow zone I take the sleeping bags. But, mine are rated -20 to -40. Small chance of freezing to death.

My guess is whoever froze to death in a sleeping bag had a summer bag.

I also take containers of peanut butter for energy if we are trapped in the car.

And, the usual survival equipment such as matches and so forth.

Fargo…I cannot stand that movie.

They overdid the accent and the, Yeps, Hey dare’s, You bechas, and other slang was so overused it was sickening. I’ve known a lot of people from the Dakota’s and none talked in a way that made them look uneducated.

It would be like overdoing southern slang to make everyone seem illiterate…

Yosemite

You have nothing to fear living in NC as long as you stay clear of crazy car dealers. Personally, I would buy and AWD car. I just like to minimize being stranded in that kind of weather.

And stay clear of crazed killers with wood chippers.

A look on Google earth street view will show what others drive in the cities of North Dakota. I looked at the streets of Bismarck and there are plenty of cars, I think there may be more SUV’s in the desert cities of the southwest. If your destination is a mountain top observatory an ordinary sedan won’t be practical. It depends on your location and travels what sort of vehicle will be suitable.

@Yosemite , I turned on that movie when my stepfather (MN/WI native) was here and he got up and left the room. I thought the female actors performed the accent well, the male actors not so much. Perhaps excessive at times but this is part of the entertainment. The opening scene was in Fargo, the rest of the movie was placed in Brainerd and Minneapolis. Last year after 26 years away from America’s dairyland a coworker told me “you still have that accent”. I deny that I have an accent but my cousins west of Greenbay sound just like the people in the movie.

Well there are cultural things too. I listened to the CD once on how to speak Minnesotan and it was an eye opener even after spending most of my life around here. Things like when offered a cup of coffee you have to refuse twice and on the third try say well ok if its no trouble. Even though you wanted that cup right from the start. People are overly courteous and don’t want to cause anyone any trouble. Might be worth listening too before heading to the Dakotas. Its not the same as California. People say good morning that don’t even know you and wave as they drive by.

"People say good morning that don’t even know you and wave as they drive by."

Hopefully, they are not just waving one finger…

;-))

4wd with good tires and a real good heater.

Yosemite, it’s perfectly okay not to like the movie, but they didn’t overdo anything. ND is a very desolate, very agricultural state. Farm people are very uncomplicated people, smart in their own way.

I’ve known some people from other parts of the country that I’ve never lived in too, but that doesn’t mean I know what it’s like in those parts of the country.

Fargo is one of my favorite movies–along with The Shawshank Redemption.
(I won’t mention my other favorites, as I don’t want to take this thread too far off-base.)

And, after spending time in Minnesota, I have to say that I don’t consider the accents of the Fargo characters to have been overdone.

@the same mountainbike; I know they are rural uncomplicated people, but I still think they overdid the slang. I have been there and never experienced the slang words used quite that much.
I’m like @Nevada_545 s stepfather and just a cannot stand the movie. I just dislike the movie…great story, great acting, but I wouldn’t want to watch it.

I’ve always lived in Wisconsin and I never noticed an accent here, but I know there are words and sayings that set us apart. And I’m sure we have a certain accent that identifies us.
I did spend some time in Texas and Oklahoma 35 years ago and I know I picked up some sayings and a little accent, but never cared enough to try changing it.

Our daughter went to live in Manhatten for about 5 years and she said that there were words and sayings that people could identify her as being from Wis right away.
I never see a NY accent in her , but it is funny how quickly some people pick up an accent and bring it back home with them.

Yosemite

I've always lived in Wisconsin and I never noticed an accent here, but I know there are words and sayings that set us apart.

People never will hear an accent from the region they’re from. To them everyone else has an accent.

I’m originally from upstate NY and moved to NH over 30 years ago. I noticed right away their accent…yet native New Hampshirites don’t think they have an accent. And if they do it’s because they transplanted from MA. Well native New Hampshirites do have an accent. They just don’t know it.

I never see a NY accent in her , but it is funny how quickly some people pick up an accent and bring it back home with them.

It’s rare for an adult to pick up an accent. Kids - yes. I have a cousin who moved to Georgia when his kids were 2 and 3. He still has a northern accent…but his kids have southern drawl.

They did not overdo the slang at all. I can understand that people who’ve never lived there can think they’ve exaggerated everything, but they haven’t. It’s really like the movie depicts it. Very barren, very desolate, very cold, and with a native population that uses few words and has a heavy accent. Great farmland, though.

When I first entered the Air Force I didn’t think I had an accent either. Turned out that I had a very strong accent. I got kidded about it. Everyone knew as soon as I spoke that I was from New England.

I guess I’m wrong then, @the same mountainbike; Maybe it’s somthing else that irritates me about the movie and I just can’t put my finger on it.

yosemite