Motor oil; isuzu rodeo

Hello, I have a 1998 isuzu rodeo I was wondering what the heaviest oil You would recomend for me to use in my car is. I have157,xxx miles.

What the owners manual specifies.

Tester

Depends on the climate. I’m guessing you’d like to use a heavier oil hoping to burn less of it?

Is your {suzu using more than a quart of oil every 1000 miles? If not, use the viscosity recommend for the vehicle.

The true experts on your specific car are the guys that wrote the owner’s manual. Go with their recommendation.

Tom McCahill, in his book “What you should know about cars” published in the early 1960s said that he always ran one grade heavier than recommended in the manual. If the manual recommended 20 weight, he ran 30 weight. He said he gave a little more time for warm-up and never had an oil burner in any of his cars in less than 80,000 miles.
Les Villand, who was a driver in the old Mobilgas Economy runs, claimed to use 5 weight oil in the car for better mileage. However, he said in his own car, he ran 10 weight oil.
I had a 1954 Buick that I bought from my dad who purchased it from the original owner who was a family friend in 1955. We always used the oil viscosity recommended in the owner’s manual. When I sold the car in 1965 with 160,000 miles on the odometer, it did not use oil between changes and had never had the heads or pan off the engine.
For my money, I’ll take the manufacturer’s recommendations for the viscosity of the oil I use in my cars. It was true 60 years ago and it is true now. Tom McCahill, Les Villand, and all the other “experts” can run any oil they want in their cars. I’ll stick with the owner’s manual.

I would say judging from past experience,dont go heavier then 10W-30-Kevin