Moral question I need help with

An additional point to this is that it’s likely to encourage the buyer to continue this “gimme my money back” policy with any car or product purchased in the future.
As far as any of us know, they may have pulled this stunt in the past.

They ignored the temperature gauge so this is on them.

Did you give the buyer any written warranty when you sold the car? Regardless of who buys >it most used cars are sold “as is” and buyers should understand that. They could have had >a mechanic do a pre-sale inspection, and choose not to.

Depends on where you live. In some states, i.e. MA, you can NOT sell anything “as is” (cars exception is over 120k I think), as all products carry an implied warranty. There are also lemon laws which vary by state.

Severe overheating can cause all kinds of major problems. Blown head gaskets, trashed cylinder walls and pistons/piston rings, and even a trashed engine bottom end.

There can even be peripherals damaged by things like this. Items such as the water pump, the timing belt, etc. Severe overheating can damage these things and problems may show up at the current time or surface within a month or so.

What should be done as a first step is to run a compression test. What you’re looking for is consistently high readings on all cylinders; say 190 PSI, etc.
Cylinders that are at 0, 50, or even 150 point to a serious, and expensive, problem in which the only cure is a new engine.
Cylinders that read low should have the test performed again with a squirt of oil in each cylinder (referred to as a wet test). If the pressures take a jump upwards the piston rings are trashed and this means a new motor.

I don’t see this as a moral issue at all. Assuming you didn’t lie, cheat or purposely mislead this girl you are under no obligation to return the money or do anything unless you want to. On the other hand, if you can afford it, help her out. You’ll feel better.

Hmmmmmmmm, the “other owners’ cousin’s girlfriend. The cousin works for our cmpany”.

Normally I’d say “a deal’s a deal”. And the law is clearly on your side. But you need to consider the implications to the company. Clearly the purchaser’s not dealing with this purchase in a mature manner. How much influence does she have on the cousin (your employee)? Is his value to the company worth buying the vehicle back to keep him happy? How does your business partner feel about the options?

Do what’s in the best interest of the company, even if you’re legally not required to take the action. The company is a long term interest, the van is a short term event. Only you know the people involved, and only you can know the correct answer. Don’t think of it as a moral question, think of it as a business question.