Mobil 1 Extended Performance excessive oil consumption

Well this time it’s oldtimer_11 who disagrees with you. He says this oil change interval was too long and I agree with him. 250 hours would have been better. According to you the 6500 miles would have been all right since that’s a bit under what the manual recommends.

I did not disagree with Volvo V70. We both believe you should change your oil more often. A vehicle driven an average speed of 19 mph will not benefit from a 15 or 20 thousand motor oil because it will be far too contaminated by gasoline long before then which is why it is burning faster befgore the end of you change interval.

I drive way less than 10,000miles per year. I am still going to change my oil at least once a year.5 quarts of full synthetic and a Toyota filter cost me at most $30. If I was driving 300 miles a day, I might think about extended drain intervals by miles because that kind of driving is easy on the oil and the engine.

There it is right there that’s what you said. The oil was changed at 6500 after 6 months but the manual says change it at 5000 for conventional and 7500 for synthetic. So 6500 for synthetic should be fine right? Except now it’s not, but how do you know it’s not if I didn’t tell you how many hours were on that oil change?

Give up it is a losing argument with the snowman.as he knows it all.

1 Like

Some pickup trucks have hour meters to help keep track of maintenance.
Time and distance doesn’t always work, I have seen some sludged up limousine engines, the engines are left idling all day for the air conditioning and an oil change every 6 months is not often enough.

1 Like

I was wondering the same thing. They may be concerned with the possibility of fuel dilution, and have a more conservative logic for the OLM.

Yes to both. I’ve noticed that the OLM drops quickly once you start getting close to the 12 month mark.

We do work for a local fleet of phone/cable/internet trucks. Think like F350 or Ram 3500/4500 bucket trucks or service beds. These trucks are on the road all day and night sometimes, and spend hours upon hours idling at one location.

Someone somewhere decided that our shop’s oil service maintenance was too costly and caused too much down time. So for the entire fleet, it was determined that all vehicles would switch to 5W30 synthetic motor oil at 10,000 mile intervals, to be done by a mobile service that comes to their yard. Even the Ram trucks that require 0W40 oil are on this program. Even the aging Econoline vans that recommend 5W20. Guess what? We have done more major engine repairs and replacements than ever since this program started. I wonder why? :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Does anyone add oil during this 10,000 mile oil change?

think about what you just asked. you are changing all the oil with an oil change. LOL

I mean in between the 10000 mile oil changes.

I suggest you look up the severe service intervals for you vehicle. You driving is severe service.

During the beginning of the lockdown, I was briefly reallocated to the Pharmacy Currier and had use of one of our hospital’s fleet vehicles. I didn’t check the oil or any of the fluids.

Better question to ask is how many of those engine failures are due to running low on oil?

When I traded i my Buick with 520,000 miles on it with engine never been opened up, the salesman asked me what I did for maintenance. When I said 3000 mile oil changes without fail, he slapped his knee and said “I knew it”.

Do whatever you folks want to do. Just leave a note for the new owner if you trade it in so they will not be disappointed. Yep some of us just don’t like to change our routine. Change is hard but paying for a new car is harder.

I use this oil in most everything I own. Only one engine uses any oil and it isn’t much. It also has 300K miles and was likely abused/neglected before I got it. A quart might be burned between changes. Someone once asked me if I was going to fix it. For an old junky truck that only needs an extra quart a year, even the most expensive oil is cheap compared to the fix. Some other failure is likely to be the demise of this truck and not using a little extra oil.

Even cars calling for the 0W20 stuff don’t use oil between changes. I do everything at 5000 miles which might be overkill. I can look inside the oil fill cap and the top of the head, camshaft, and timing chain are clean with no discoloration. Everything is just clean metal where can’t see any buildup which is a good thing. The oil is the stuff that comes in the gold label bottle.