Misuse of lights

That’s OK on rural roads. It’s often difficult to see oncoming traffic because of the background. Rte 15 in VA between Frederic and Leesburg requires that you turn on your headlights.

Why do you think I have the lights? :wink:

Ken,

The correct method is to turn on your signal and leave it on until you complete your turn. Or weren’t you taught that in driver’s training? That includes sitting in the left turn lane waiting for the light to change.

But I do get your point.

I don’t initiate discourtesy but I don’t stand for it either when I don’t have the time or choice to react any other way.
And you just validated my point with the “blinded drivers” statement. For just as it is not safe or courteous to leave your High Beams on an approching driver, neither is it OK when you have an extra pair of un-needed lights glaring at them, in addition to your headlights.
Just because the factory designs cars for the fog lights to go out when you hit your high beams, doesn’t mean that it is automatically OK to have them on with the low beams either. Again, all I’m saying is to just use them as they were intended. For poor visibility conditions.

Well, that’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it my man.

Oh, and maybe my eyes are sensitive but that’s still no excuse for “Foggers” as I have come to call them and I do use spell check when it is available and also my incomplete sentences are from clumsy typing, that causes messages to get sent prematurely by accident sometimes. So, you see, you could stand to know more about the facts before you criticize.

Well, I can spell hypocrit.

Oh, puhleeaze [sic]

No, you cannot. Hypocrit is not a word in the English language.

With a handle like “common sense answer” you should be on my side all the way. For the proper use of foglights comes mostly from common sense anyway. It’s the basis for my opinion. And as for my spelling, I do pretty well for a High School educated country boy. So I’m not the only one who needs to lighten-up.

“I have my fog lights on with my dims for that exact reason; to fill in the shadows. ( on my truck , when you select bright lights the fog lights TURN OFF. )”

Sorry, but I think I understand what ‘setzzz’ means by YOUR response. Maybe the vehicle ‘setzzz’ drives is set lower to the road (compact car?) - causing what YOU consider normal height light to shine directly into HIS eyes.

I realized this when riding in a friend’s Ram. Even the ‘dim’ headlights had shown directly through the rear window of the smaller cars - possibly blinding (‘dazzling’ according to NYS DMV statutes) other drivers.

And I don’t believe those ARE ‘fog’ lights. If they deactivate when switching to ‘high beams’ they’d be called ‘Auxiliary Driving Lights’.

Either way - deliberately using bright lights (and/or mirrors) to ‘dazzle’ another driver is a misdomeanor offense in NYS so watch out.

They’ll start enforcing that and other public safety laws when they’ve run out of options to balance the state budget - like laying off civil service workers and installing speed cameras on every sign support and overpass along the NYS Thruway.

If these are older cars with worthless DOT headlights (the ones with the three tits for aiming), I can completely understand running the extra lights to try and fill in where the headlight does not. I had those - then replaced them with the much superior European model that actually puts light where you need it instead of making a blob of light.

Turn signals - I think those must be optional on some models, since they never seem to do anything. On other models, they seem to have a minimum on time of a few minutes! Very annoying - I agree.

It seems that you are the only one with such a Don Quixote-esque fixation with fog lights. Perhaps you should get your eyes checked out if you think that looking at fog lights is “almost as bad as having their High Beams on you”. When the fact of the matter is they are not since they aren’t aimed directly in front of the vehicle and they usually are less than half the wattage of typical headlight.

WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! AND WRONG AGAIN.

I suggest that we all begin ignoring this thread in order to allow it to die a natural death.

The OP believes what he wants to believe–even if everyone else disagrees. That is his right, of course.
However, nothing is to be gained for anyone at this point by continuing to post responses.

Amen to that.
Besides, I have way more people than have opined on this site who agree with me anyway. They, as with myself, understand that it is as much a matter of common sense, principle and etiquite, if nothing else. Annoyance be damned.
As a matter of fact I have been told by many I have ask about having their fog lights on, that they didn’t know how to work them and did’nt know they were even on. Not to pick on them but most of these cases were women. (one was even my own sister)
And for those who fit this catagory, I do forgive you.

K, you can stick your fork in me (which I’m sure many of you would like to) I’m DONE

To be blunt regarding what you were told by the cop, if cops were good at knowing the law, they’d be lawyers. Much better pay, and less risk of getting shot. Anything that’s factory-installed is DOT approved and therefore legal.

Has nothing to do with knowing the law. Lying is one of the tools of the trade.

Well, I can spell hypocrit. So I suggest you follow your own advice.

OMG!!! LOLZZZZZZZ! What a great source of humor!

By the way, it’s spelled “hypocrite.” If you can’t afford a dictionary, try using dictionary.com, especially when you boast about your spelling abilities.

I had to give you five stars, just because of your accidental irony.

He probably is one of those who likes that Boom Boom bass jungle crap on his stereo also.

Seriously, I also don’t like being blinded by bright lights at night, your remarks about “that Boom Boom bass jungle crap” show you are a racist, and an old fart.

WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! AND WRONG AGAIN.

I couldn’t hear that. Could you try saying it louder?

It might also have more impact of you stomp your feet when you type it.

In the Boston area, the use of turn signals is regarded as “giving information to the enemy” :wink:

Nothing gets me more perturbed than to be sitting at an expressway off-ramp waiting patiently for oncoming traffic to clear before entering the highway and some numbnutz coming toward me doesn’t use their signals before veering off onto the on ramp. It’s compounded if I see them talking on the phone and that’s likely the reason why they didn’t signal their intentions so everyone else can know it’s safe to pull out.