Minivan or SUV?

Im renting this thing for one week. I couldn’t care less what the gas mileage is.

1 Like

Ok, thank you all for responding. I’m taking the advice of the majority and reserving a Chrysler Pacifica for a week.

3 Likes

Let us know how it works for you!

Senior moment SUV is suburban ussalt vehicle?

Ok, I’ll go but my wife gets upset when I call it a truck. From another discussion, I rest my case that money is not always the most important consideration. Mr mopar doesn’t need to worry about the money.

@old_mopar_guy We own both a minivan, a Toyota Sienna and an SUV. a Toyota 4Runner. For transporting passengers as you intend to do, the minivan would be my choice. The only advantage of an SUV is that the SUV easier to maneuver in city driving, but the minivan is certainly manageable in town driving. In fact, I have seen minivans used for taxicab service in New Orleans. I have owned minivans since 1991–a Ford Aerostar, a Ford Windstar, a Chevrolet Uplander, and two Toyota Siennas. My favorite was the Chevrolet Uplander as its seat and driving position were the most comfortable for me.

Thanks Triedaq

I’m a little late to the party (bad storm yesterday, lost power for 20 hours), but my vote is minivan all the way… loads of room and much easier to get around in… My old 99’ Grand Caravan with the 2 back rows removed would fit a 4’ X 8’ plywood flat (behind the front seats) with all doors closed… meaning lots of room… the old grand caravan versus caravan was the extra room behind the back seat for luggage etc…

@davesmopar it’s amazing what can be hauled in a minivan. Some years back, I received a telephone call from an organization that was folding asking me if the chamber orchestra I manage would like a set of timpani. I had the.seats out of my minivan and drove 25 miles in half an hour. Since that time, I have moved the set of four timpani to.quite a few different venues where we have played.
Another time I stripped out the seats and hauled a harpsichord for a friend.

1 Like

Too late but I have to put my vote in for a minivan. I constantly miss our Dodge Caravan; very comfy and roomy. From kids to drywall and a ton of gravel, all were hauled with no issues. I thought it wasn’t much reliable after 100K miles (we kept it to 185K miles). But my Sonata has changed that view.
I wish minivans will be cool again!

@old_mopar_guy One caution about renting a minivan is that you may not get what you want. I needed to rent a minivan and the agent asked if a Dodge Caravan would be o.k. I replied that I would prefer a Duke Ellington Caravan. “Sorry”, the agent replied. “We are only allowed to rent those minivans to sophisticated ladies”. (“Caravan” is a tune from Duke Ellington’s “Sophisticated Lady”).
I had the same problem renting an SUV. The agent said that they had a Dodge Journey. I said that I really wanted a Sentimental Journey. The agent replied, “We already rented that SUV to Doris Day”.

2 Likes

We have direct experience. My daughter has two children in car seats. When we go somewhere with them we use their Honda Pilot so that we don’t have to move child seats. Her husband drives, I sit in the front passenger seat, my wife sits between the children and my daughter crawls through the rear hatch into the rear seat. With a minivan she could fit past the middle row seats using the side sliding doors. Do the minivan. I’ve also noticed that the Pilot has significantly less storage space than our Odyssey with 3 full rows of seating even with half of the 3rd row folded in the Pilot.

I realize the decision has been made but just for fun I will add this.

We have some relative’s and the Macho husband never liked have the Honda Odyssey van . They took long trips with 2 spoiled kids , a large dog and lots of stuff. Well he had to have a Subaru Accent because it fit his image better. Less MPG , less room , harder for the parents to get in and less storage space.

Ill just tell them i want a Chrysler South Pacifica.

Thats ok, i wanted the Escalade so i could feel like Tony Soprano for a week. I was ready to order a box of big cigars even though i quit smoking them 15 years ago.

1 Like