Mini Cooper R56 P0137 code

They’re referred to as o2 sensors or oxygen sensors in the service data I’m looking at. I’m not sure if that means they really are the traditional narrow band sensor, or they are in fact the wideband air-fuel-ratio sensor. On the electrical schematic, the section where the power-train control circuit is shown is referred to as “lambda control”. By the looks of the circuit, the pre-cat sensor has 3 current outputs, labeled

• alsvr1 (GE) - Yellow
  • alsvp1 (WS) - White
  • ilsvp1 (GE) – Yellow

Apparently GE mean “yellow” and WS means “white” in mini-speak , referring to the wire colors I guess.

The current outputs are converted to voltages by transistors located on the “DME Control Unit”.

Given that the outputs appear to be currents, I’m presuming these are wide-band air-fuel ratio sensors rather than narrow band sensors. The post-cat sensor is slightly different, and only has 1 output, and that appears to also be a current output, implying it is a wide-band air-fuel ratio sensor.

I concur that the diagnostic process would be less ambiguous if the nomenclature used by the car manufacturers was consistent.