Mini Cooper oil changes

oil
mini
cooper

My 07 Mini has 10,000 miles and the “maintenance minder” hasn’t yet indicated a need for an oil change. I don’t know much about cars, but have learned that regular oil changes are the single most important thing to do to insure a good long life for my car. When I ask the dealership, they keep saying, no need - wait for the light to come on. But come on – 10,000 miles is a long time without an oil change. Should I keep waiting or just have it changed against their advice?

What kind of driving do you do? If you have done mostly road driving where the engine has a chance to warm up, you are probably o.k. On the other hand, if you have done a lot of stop and start drving where the engine is running cold, then you probably need that oil change.

I don’t know how the “maintenance minder” light works in your Mini Cooper. In my 2006 Chevrolet Uplander, I get message “Change Oil Soon”. In the summer, I can go 6500 miles without this reminder. On the other hand, this winter, I’ve done a lot of stop and start short distance driving. This message started appearing and I get the reading that I have only 2% of my oil life left. I’ve only traveled 2700 miles since I last changed the oil and reset the service minder message. I don’t use synthetic oil, so my guess is that I probably am about due for an oil change. If your “maintenance minder” is like my indicator, you are probably o.k.

Does your owner’s manual give you a clue as to how long you can go between changes? If

Your owner’s manual should give you the answer.

Personally I’d change it every 5,000 miles max if the manual says anything greater. Oil cannot be too fresh, only too old.