Milestone . . . 500,000 miles!

Yep.

My commute is about 25% stop and go and 75% highway, which I consider OK as it warms stuff up enough to boil off any condensation. The severe aspect of my driving is the soccer dad . . . go to the bank & post office, "daddy drop me off at ___ and pick me back up at _____ , but so what. I’ll keep doing what I do and fixing stuff as it comes up. Rocketman

Great going!

Those Accords are simple and tough cars. My brother bought a new one in 1987, stick shift with air. He only has 350,000 miles on it and it’s still running great. He has spent a total of just over $5000 on maintenance and repair since new, including replacing the A/C compressor. Since he lives in a salty area, it may not go to 500,000 miles, since it’s developing some rust. He does regular maintenance as called for in the manual.

The A/C on my '89 is so cold you have to turn it OFF after using it for a while. Never touched, never recharged. I did replace the blower motor once . . . it was an all-day job due to the location. Rocketman

Every 3000 miles. It is a 4 cylinder 2.0 . Rocketman

A four banger made it to 500,000 miles? Oh no! Nobody tell EllyEllis! This might make his head explode!

Congratulations, Rocketman!

Congratulations rocketman. I am really amazed that you have not had to replace a half shaft, CV boot, wheel bearing(s), suspension component(s), rack and pinion, alternator, starter, radiator, windshield, struts, springs, or engine component.

How many timing belts and water pumps have been replaced? Do you change the idlers everytime you change the timing belt? Are you on the original accessory belt(s)? How many batteries? This 20 year old Accord has made it to the moon and back. Keep up the good work.

Researcher . . . I have changed CVs, one alternator, boots, suspension bushings and other stuff . . . just maintenance as it breaks or wears out, I fix it. Timing belts with tensioner every 60k, water pump every other timing belt, a battery now and again, a radiator . . . just stuff as it comes up. Never into the engine or transmission, but other stuff, of course. Rocketman

Whitey, you beat me to it!

Did you have to take out the dash to get the fastener in the back off?

Great! Now give up the secret on your maintenance schedule and the types of fluid you used.

Which fastener? I didn’t take the whole dash apart, but a lot of the underneath had to come out, took me a whole day. Rocketman

The clips that hold the bottom of the blower motor to the top. The one in back is hard to get to and some say to take the dash out to get it.

not changing the clutch is more shocking to me than the 500k miles. i think a lot of hondas could get to 500k if the owners did not get tired of looking at the car interior for all those miles

I just follow the owners manual, do all the fluids regularly, sometimes a bit early (if I’ve driven “severe”) and I use whatever is on sale at Wal-Mart or Advance Auto, so long as it is up to specifications . . . I’ll use Pennziol or Quaker State or Castrol or whatever, stay away from Wal-Mart brand (guess I’m a product of listening to too mucj advertising). Follow the maintenance schedule in the book and use decent fluids and parts. Rocketman

Darn it! He beat me to it too!