Mercury capri/mustang

I HAVE A 1980 MERCURY CAPRI AND I RECENTLY PUT A 1986 MUSTANG ENGINE IN IT.ITS A 2.3 LITER 4 CYLINDER AND I WAS JUST WONDERING WHAT THE REDLINE OF THE ENGINE WAS AND AT WHAT RPMS WOULD I GET THE MOST OUTTA MY CAR

In theory you can hit 7000 or more but there are too many variables to know. Timing, engine condition, etc. all play a part and when you start getting the RPMs way up there (especially with a used engine) you run the risk of valve float or throwing rocker arms.

To really know what the engine is capable of you need to do a dyno run. The printout will show you the horsepower and torque curves and allow you to determine what’s best.
If this 2.3 is normally aspirated (no turbocharger) then you should not expect much at all; especially if the car has an automatic transmission.
Around here a dyno run (2 pulls) is about 60 bucks. A preliminary pull, some tweaking minutes, and a second pull to gauge improvement.

That being said, if you’re concerned with performance why install a 2.3? Why not a 5.0 or 5.4? Or 460 if fuel mileage is not important?

I’ve got an extra turbocharged 2.3 sitting around and it’s rated at 160 Horsepower. (probably debateable)
With a turbo and some cam/head work it would seem to me you could easily coax 220-250 HP out of it.
While I have not done this modification yet, I have heard that swapping the cam out for a Ranger truck cam can help them quite a bit.
Hope some of that helps you.

snicker He said 460!

Any chance you could turn off your CAP LOCK?

Problem? The 460 is a common swap on these cars.

A 5.4L in a 1980 Capri? Somebody got a big shoehorn for Xmas!

This model Capri should be the rear drive sister equivalent of the Mustang; not the small FWD Econobox.

Somehow I was thinking it was the little Capri imported in the early '70s.

it came stock with the 2.3 liter it has a 4 speed with over drive tranny…to put a 5.0 in it i would have to put new brakes tranny engine rear end etc but i was just gonna try to take the other route and put a turbo on it.i have only took it to 6000 rpms max…i heard through the grape vine redline was 5800 and if that the case i hit well over 5500 and never have any engine problems.its a good running engine doesnt heat up or anything so if i wanted to take the turbo route would i have to replace any parts on the car such as brakes clutch etc, if so how much am i looking at and what do i need to do…thanks alot

No, not the 460. 390-427 family of big blocks, known as the FE series, was way more popular. The 460 is a different animal and was used mainly for trucks, land yachts and some success as a drag engine. It takes much more ‘shoe-horning’ to put in a 460 than a 427, then you still need special tools to change spark plugs.

The light that burns twice as bright only lasts half as long…Force-feeding a 23 year old engine sounds like 15 minutes of fun…Injected or carbureted?

its got a carb.and its completly bone stock…the only reason i put a 2.3 in it is cuz i found 1 for a hundered buck that came with and auto tranny…and i just switched the tranny to manual and bolted it right in…but im looking to turbo it like i said just worried about what all i would need to do…

In the fox body cars, the 460 is a common swap. Remember the 460 is just a stroked 429. And it’s much, much cheaper than a 427.

You’ll feel the power drop off before you hit the redline, just give it a few tries. Not much you can do for cheap to change it, except make sure it’s fully tuned up, timing, carb, and I think it has adjustable valves. You’ll also want to make sure the timing belt is in good shape.