Men: Your first accident?

Thanks for the response, Andyt59. Unfortunately it won’t work for my story – but I appreciate it nonetheless!

OK, so here goes. I have been a State Farm customer since 1969, except for the four years I spent in Germany, where State Farm does not insure. My first accident was a short slide on black ice at night in Kansas City, Kansas. Hit a median T post with the driver side rear of the car. Damage to rear quarter panel was never repaired, so no agent interface. The first accident that I had that State Farm entered the picture was an at fault rear end accident in Tacoma, WA (1973-74). My vehicle wasn’t damaged and the car I hit was successfully repaired in a timely manner. My agent at the time handled all the details. What did I learn from this accident – don’t let up on the brake so quickly or be aware that the car moved forward slightly. That experience may have heightened my awareness of the safety zone needed between cars, even in the most benign conditions.

Coming up to present day, I have always gotten excellent service from my State Farm agent and my trusted repair facility. Apparently in my neck of the woods, providing timely service is the norm for both the agent and claims adjusters who may become involved.

jayhawkroy, this is exactly the type of thing I was looking for! Could you email me at mmcavallaro (at) gmail (dot) com? Would love to know your agent’s name, as well as a bit more about that accident in Tacoma. Many thanks!

My first accident–in 1965–was the result of inattention.
In stop and go traffic, I hit the back of an 18 wheeler, causing damage to the hood and front fenders of my father’s '63 Plymouth. He very calmly surveyed the damage, informed me that he would not submit a claim to the insurance company, and told me to get three estimates for repair. He also informed me that I would be paying for the repair.

The body work wound up costing a total of $350, which was actually a significant amount of money in those days. Luckily, I had a decent savings account by that time, so I was able to pay for my mistake without any problem. And, this was one of the best lessons that my father ever taught me–namely that one must pay for his mistakes in life.

Our insurance company at that time was The Home Insurance Co., but no matter which company wrote that policy, there was no way that my father would have submitted a claim.

My second and last accident–in 1971–was paid by The Home Insurance Co. This one was the result of driving perhaps a bit too fast for conditions on a wintery road surface. That taught me the importance of extra caution–even if one is trying to be on-time for work!

My only claims experience with State Farm took place ~1994.
An attempted break-in of my car resulted in some damage to the driver’s door and door lock mechanism. My State Farm agent told me to get just one estimate, and he cut a check on the spot for my claim, which pleased me very much.

Later, I did drop State Farm, due to continued rate increases, despite a long-term pristine driving record. I do believe that they are a better-than-average insurance company, but I am paying several hundred dollars less per year with a policy from NJ Manufacturers Insurance Co, whose customer service and pricing was recently rated #1 (the best) in the US by Consumer Reports magazine.

I do believe that most car accidents are preventable, as the extra caution that I have exercised since 1971 has helped me to avoid any mishaps for 39 years.

Just needed to clarify your requirements.

Getting women who have had accidents as clients of State Farm is probably a lot easier than trying to find men who were clients and had an accident.

State Farm, in my opinion, prices young males obscenely to have less clients, to lower their risks, and eventually lowers the rates as the men get older and more mature, and become lower risk drivers, having gained many years of driving experience.

I can’t really say that women are better drivers as they age with the experiences I’ve seen with my family, friends, and coworkers over the years.

BC.

I will take your humor and raise you a LMAO. I agree though. their age is becoming a concern as my dad has had at least one stroke in the last 24 months and I am afraid to ride in the car with my mother. :slight_smile:

Well a few years ago I was coming home from a night out with the boys about 2am after the bar closed and i fell asleep i veered off the road and hit a tree, my truck was is bad shape but i slammed her into 4wd and backed out. I stopped at a buddys house on the way home and passed out. I woke up about 9 the next morning and told my insurance agent what happened and he helped my file the claim, we even got the police report filed since I didn’t want to involve the police, he talked me into it. We decided a deer must have run out in front of me and I swerved. State farm totaled my truck and gave me 12g to replace it. It was my first wreck, i was so scared but my insurance agent told me it wasnt my fault accidents happen. THANKS STATE FARM!

Slightly off the original topic but I’ve got a question about accidents being preventable if the driver is “aware enough” so to speak. (And this one happened to me)

Four lane road, posted 50 MPH speed limit, heavy traffic with all of it moving along at 45-50 MPH. Lady gets an opening just big enough for an otter to squeeze through and darts her truck across all four lanes of traffic.
At the time she darted out in front of me this placed her about 3 car lengths in front of me and the guy who was beside me in the next lane. We both creamed her truck broadside; making my car and her truck total wrecks and the guy beside me with a near total.

So what should both myself and the guy next to me have done to prevent this whacking; keeping in mind the 3 car lengths and 50 MPH speed involved?
(And no, I did not even have time to get my foot on the brake.)

State Farm has been my home/auto insurer for many years. Since I’ve made claims only on a deer collision (deer was at fault and still waiting for compensation from it’s insurance comp.) and occasional windshield replacement, couldn’t add to the conversation. IMO, it’s the local agent/adjuster, much like a car dealership that has determined our satisfaction.
People like us are a “cash cow” to any insurance company.