Mechanic's Wives & Children WALK!

I work on Saturdays so can only listen, not call. As wife to a highly skilled Automotive Technical Advisor, I find myself bumming rides from friends on a regular basis due to all 3 of our OLD cars missing various critical components (the Mazda is between radiators, the Geo’s front wheel is hanging from a broken shock absorber & the Neon is awaiting installation of a replacement USED engine) & the 4th NEW car is, of course, needed for driving from wrecking yard to wrecking yard looking for mis-matched but CHEAP replacement critical parts.

My question is really for your wives; how do I get my hands on the one car that works while motivating my Beloved to finish & use the others?

HEEEELLLLPP!

With all due respect, I must ask where the ‘highly skilled’ comes in?

Take a higher dose of testrone

LOL, my wife would probably just go buy a car without telling me.

My wife was never able to find a solution either.

my better half is ALWAYS chiding me for always tinkering on the fleet. then when i am exasperated over some such repair, it always starts again.

then when a neighbor calls for a ride at 1230 A.M. because their car broke down i get a humble thanks for keeping the cars running.

thats all the thanks i get, and actually all i need!

on the OP’s point, i think upgrading your fleet to TWO running cars may be a better thought. too many is dividing attention, so nothing is getting done.

roadrunner: that shows NO respect!

I would like to know the definition of “highly skilled automotive technical advisor”.

Does this mean service advisor? If so, then how much actual turning of wrenches has this service advisor done before starting their advising career?

At my house we have multiple cars that run and drive well. My wife knows and deals with the various cars in need of repair that are in the shop. As far as regular transportation she has her own car.
~Michael

“The cobbler has no shoes!” is appropriate. HIRE a mechanic to finish one of the long-term project cars.

That was my tongue in cheek title for ASE Certified Master Mechanic. I don’t think they actually CALL them “mechanics” any more, do they? :slight_smile:

To ansser the other question, he’s been a professional mechanic for almost 30 years but HATES it!

How do you think I got the 1 new one? :slight_smile:

It sounds like the Mazda between radiators is the closest to running. Take a taxi to a car parts store and buy a radiator. I would not buy a used radiator anyhow as the used one might not be far behind yours.

Let your sweetie know of your plan first so he is given the opportunity to get off of his duff and do it. Does he have friends at his job that could help? Why not invite them all over for brats and beer on a Saturday and by the way, bring their radiator changing clothes? What is to stop you from installing a new radiator? It is typically an easy job and the internet, especially Car Talk can help. Just a few ideas for you. Maybe your hubbie should come home from work finding you installing a radiator while supper goes undone.

Tell him if he doesn’t get one running you’re having the Mazda towed to the nearest radiator shop and get the radiator changed.
Don’t have it towed to HIS shop or you may find yourself in divorce court.

I know a few people with similar situations. They stem from different causes however. Some are justified and some are not. We can’t possibly know all of the factors involved but it would help to understand some of the background before offering any suggestions. Is he squandering time that could be spent fixing them? Is there any issue scraping up the money necessary to do the repairs? Does he start and not finish other repairs around the house?

I spent many years cycling through a stable of older cars, always keeping a few of them road worthy. One thing is for sure, on well used cars, things are going to break and need fixing. Sometimes, bad luck hits and you get a rash of problems that affects the entire fleet. But if you’re working at the problems, you can always get your head back above water. And, when it becomes unmanageable, it helps to know when to cut your losses and move on to a different challenge. Sometimes, it takes the perspective of the S.O. to help see that…

Knowing he’s a tech clears that up. I was thinking from the description a “service advisor” and that could explain a lot.
I can certainly sympathize with your hubby - 100%. It’s not the physical part that makes being a tech rough; it’s the mental strain. From wrestling things that won’t come apart, beating his head on the wall on a goofy problem, and always having that sword (flat rate clock)hanging over his head can be mind numbing at times.

Many techs do allow things to slide on their own vehicles because by the time they get home the brain often wants to clock off and not even think about nuts and bolts.

About the only advice I can give you is not to look at all of the problems in one lump. Pick one at a time and resolve it; forget the others for the time being.
Offer to help hubby on the weekend do the repair even if it’s nothing more than handing tools, starting a nut or bolt, etc.
Heck, even fake interest in the whole thing!
The Mazda and Geo are the easiest, so start with them first.

Cappy,
You’re allowed your 2 cents but that’s all.

BTW, I noticed you haven’t read the rest of the posts without comment about having the same answer, or are you afraid to?

That probably explains why 3 of the cars are inoperable…