Mechanic said my transmission fluid has never been changed?

So does the 2008 Rav4.

Don’t you retain your service records in a file folder?
:worried:

Shortly after I buy a new car, I construct a chart on which I can enter all of the services that the car receives, along with the odometer mileage and the date of the service. That way, I don’t have to riffle through many pages of service invoices in order to do a “look back”, and I don’t have to rely on anyone else for maintaining my service records.

A couple of months ago, I finally convinced a friend of mine to give me his 11 years of service records, and I constructed a chart for him. That chart made it very easy to see that he was being charged for a cabin air filter and an engine air filter every 10 months or so, but that his trans fluid hadn’t been changed for about 60k miles.
:astonished:

By maintaining your own service records on a chart, it is very easy to see if something is very much overdue, and also one can see if the service provider has been piling-on needless services.

1 Like

Depends on each states recycling fees and it is not something you can argue about .

As for the transmission fluid , get a second opinion or just have it done .

Around here the recycling center charges $2. Truck tires or tires 17"-20" are $5. Truck tires over 22" are $10, and if you have a tractor, the tires are $25. A trailer load of stuff up to 2000# will cost $20 (not including items with a separate charge like tires and TVs). I actually have been doing about four trailer loads a year.

Yeah like I said before I have a single book that I record all maintenance and repairs in for not only my cars but also, house, yard, small engines, and so on. I have one book to go to to see what was done when and what it cost or to look up what paint was used on the living room or when the carpets were shampooed. One book. Actually now I upgraded to an old Word Perfect book. Been doing it that way for 30 years.

It sounds like you don’t particularly trust that shop. Ask your friends, co-workers, fellow church-goers etc which shop they use for their cars and try one from that list based upon a personal recommendation. Good chance you’ll get better results. And yes it is entirely possible the trans fluid has never been changed. And yes it is possible the shop is attempting an upsell. No way to tell over the internet. You need to get your own trusted shop on the case, that’s your best path forward.

I’m 25 and disorganized so maybe if I did deep in the trash heap that is my car I’ll find it? We live very different lives.

1 Like

That’s called an excuse. Maybe it’s time to change.

Yes, but it can also be characteristic of simply being young.
In my younger days, I was somewhat disorganized, even though my adult friends have a hard time believing that I was once that different. Maturity, and setting priorities, can work wonders!

1 Like

. Maturity, and setting priorities, can work wonders!
[/quote]

I think that is why there is a T-shirt that reads [ To be Old and Wise at one time you had to be young and stupid ]

1 Like

I agree. But if there’s a problem with the way you’re doing things…then change. Change is growth. If they’re unwilling to change then they are unwilling to grow.

I’ll think about it. I don’t foresee getting a new car in the future, so a chart wouldn’t make sense for me. But a file folder wouldn’t hurt :0)

1 Like

How about an APP.

Here’s a list of App’s for IPhone. I’m sure Android has something equivalent.

1 Like

“myCARFAX” app will not only help keeping your records going forward, but will retrieve your prior maintenance records (as much as mechanics cared to provide to CarFax) by a VIN code

Heh heh. As much as I try to recall ever changing the oil in my 59 VW or 59 Pontiac, I just can’t. I know I must have and I know for certain I never changed the transmission fluid. I can’t tell what repairs were done or even what the final mileage was. Some years later I started my record book to try and get organized. This was before computers though and I prefer paper that I can scan and page through.

I just recall my response when I was being lectured concerning how great change was with a change that proved to be disastrous. I had replied that change alone is no goal and that there is good change and bad change. I note the 737 Max as bad change but firing the CEO as good change. Remains to be seen where Ms. Barra falls.

Not if it’s for the worse . . .

And here I thought I was the only one.

If I can figure out how to add an image … nope, can’t. So try this: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqQ2rec8yg-cmD47AiaRJuWp2CiW?e=34EZvf It’s the top of my own chart on my current car. Later pages record the date and mileage of everything done to the car. A separate section at the end is for oil changes.

Our young OP might want to try something similar.

1 Like

I bet the new generation’ choice is gonna be on the smartphone :slight_smile:

Given the age of the SUV, you are probably not the first owner. How long have you had it? Was this the only mechanic that worked on the RAV4? If he isn’t the only mechanic to work on your car, how does he know the fluid hasn’t been changed? Even if he is the only mechanic, without the service records, how can he make that assertion? At this mileage, you are due for new transmission fluid and should get it changed. Make sure it’s compatible with your transmission. Honda transmissions are finicky and require the exact fluid Honda recommends; no substitute is acceptable. I don’t know if this is true for your Toyota, and you need to make sure before this mechanic puts a universal transmission fluid in (if that’s what he has in mind).

BTW, the sooner you get organized, the sooner you can start saving or spending on things you actually like instead of car repairs. If you still have the owners manual in your glove box, read it, especially the maintenance schedule. It will help you figure out if suggested maintenance is needed or not. I used to be like you, but found out about the stuff I wrote above, and I’m much happier keeping my money for stuff I like.

That’s the part I fail at. Is it time for a tire rotation? Filter? etc. So yeah I’ve considered just a spread sheet with 5 or ten items and the next service mileage. Time slips away. What I thought I did not too long ago turns out to be five years. Still I’m not sure a computer for me would be that helpful since you have to keep going back and entering everything.

I have a chart posted on the inside door of my oil cabinet. I have the cars, small engines, etc. listed with the plug #, oil, filter #, etc. Fairly simple and helps with old age.

True. But if you don’t change then you’ll NEVER grow.