Mechanic put in wrong color coolant. Problem?

Do we know that an incorrect mix was used…other than the dye being the wrong color?

The “color” is determined by dye, and is often proprietary to the manufacturer. There is no guarantee that different corrosion inhibitors were used, just because it’s “the wrong color.” Case in point: Dex-Cool coolants are usually pink…but “universal” coolants are Dex-Clones (or damn near) and they’re green. “Old-school” coolant is green also, but has little in common with “universal” blends.

OP needs to know exactly what product was used, not what color it is.

A follow-up question was (basically), "Why does your gallon of 50% cost as much as your gallon of 100%?"

Funny, I never had a problem with this.

If you buy full strength, you’ve got to make a separate trip somewhere to get distilled water. (Not as easy as it used to be, now that hippies no longer think “pure” water is a good idea…most grocery-store stuff is spring water.) Then, you have to mix equi-volume quantities of each…which means you have to have a spare gallon jug handy. Alternatively, you can alternate topping off with water and full-strength and hope that in the long run, you’re “close enough.”

I don’t see any savings (after two trips vs one), and I see a great big PITA.

This discussion has been lively and entertaining, and the original poster and the shop in questions will both undoubtedly spend more time and effort on resolving the situation.

Imagine how all this discussion, time, and effort could have been avoided if all shops would just always refill coolant with what came from the factory. But nooo, they gotta make that extra $3…

@meanjoe75fan Toyota brand coolant for this car is red

I guarantee you 100% it’s not red

Proof positive . . . in my mind, anyways . . . that the mechanic did not put in Toyota brand coolant, as the customer specifically requested

Proof positive that the mechanic needs to drain this stuff and give the customer what she specifically requested, at no additional cost to her

I believe I understand what you’re getting at . . . perhaps this green coolant meets Toyota specs, correct?

But the lady specifically asked for Toyota coolant

Please reread my comment about patty melt versus tuna melt

:sunglasses:

Agree with db4690, there’s no mystery here. The shop would have had to pay $30+ at the local Toyota dealer to buy a gallon of their “long life” coolant. Instead they cheaped out and put in generic green stuff that cost them maybe $10 a gallon.

It’s entirely clear that they did NOT put Toyota coolant in as OP requested.

Here’s something to consider . . . and a further nail in the coffin, so to speak

Aftermarket coolant which meets Toyota specs is also red or pink

Aftermarket coolant which meets Dexcool specs is also orange

Color is slightly important. The chemical composition of the coolant is of primary importance. You need to find out exactly what the coolant used was, then look it up at the manufacturer’s web site. The MSDS (SDS now) will tell you what components are in the antifreeze. Then compare these ingredients to Toyota coolant. You can get the MSDS for it too. While you are at the green coolant makers site, see if it says the antifreeze is OK fo your mom’s car. If they don’t say it is, assume it is not. This might take 15 minutes after the shoot tells you what coolant was used. The brand name might be on the receipt. If you are still not sure, post the ingredients of both coolants here and we can help. It is probably OK, but you are right to be concerned.

Peak Long life from the peak site is “Compatible for use in all automobiles and light-duty trucks” It is yellow when poured but can appear green with a dark background.

The coolant used does not meet the customers specifications, there is no question about that. If the coolant was a long life, universal coolant, it will work perfectly well and cause no damage.

Two important questions, was the customer charged for the Toyota coolant? If so, the shop owes here a refund or replacement.

If the customer was not charged extra for the Toyota coolant, then it boils down to what the customer actually asked for and how that could be interpreted. If the customer specified Toyota Brand coolant and the shop agreed, then they should also do a replacement, but should be allowed to charge the difference in the price between the two coolants, but no charge for labor, that was their mistake.

If she just asked for Toyota coolant, that could be interpreted as any coolant that meets Toyota’s specifications and I’m afraid she is out of luck on this one. In my opinion, the shop owner should have asked for a clarification of her request, but unfortunately, that is not mandatory.

If the customer is charged the difference between brand x and Toyota brand coolant, one thing is for sure . . .

That lady will NEVER return as a customer

I wouldn’t

And neither would most of us regulars, I suspect

:confounded:

@keith Let’s look at it this way . . .

If I bring my Chevy to the shop for a brake job, and request AC Delco brake pads be installed, and the shop installs brand x brake pads, which fit correctly and do the job, the shop screwed up

No matter the fact that the brake pads work

Why?

Because I asked for something by name, specifically, and I didn’t get it

“If she just asked for Toyota coolant, that could be interpreted as any coolant that meets Toyota’s specifications”

I’m afraid I see it differently

I see it as “She asked for Toyota coolant, and that means head to the dealer to get Toyota brand coolant, if there isn’t some in the warehouse”

it’s real simple . . . either send the shop “gopher” to the dealer to get the coolant, or call the dealer and have their “gopher” deliver it

That’s why shops and dealers have these guys . . . to deliver and pick up parts. That’s their job

The shop would have had to pay $30+ at the local Toyota dealer to buy a gallon of their “long life” coolant. Instead they cheaped out and put in generic green stuff that cost them maybe $10 a gallon.

“She asked for Toyota coolant, and that means head to the dealer to get Toyota brand coolant, if there isn’t some in the warehouse”

The correct coolant should have been delivered along with the correct hoses and radiator cap. It’s as simple as that.

You should see how fast I shut down a guy trying to tell me I should stock universal coolant.

There are lots of places to get red long-life or pink super-long-life coolant that meet Toyota specs, and the difference in prices is not that great. Certainly not $20/gallon. I buy wholesale so I’m not sure what O’Reilly’s or the dealer charges for over the counter retail, but by selling coolant at $22.95/gallon I’m making plenty of profit. Green, red, pink, orange, blue, gold, I don’t care what color it is, it all makes me money.

And again, a testament to the shortsightedness of the shop in question, if he had just added red coolant, none of this discussion would happen. All for less than the cost of a Big Mac.

Just an FYI; Toyota’s pink is “premixed” red. The red means one needs to stop at the grocery store for a 98-cent bottle of distilled water to mix with it.

Regarding the original question, I agree with most others… she specifically requested Toyota coolant and she should have gotten Toyota coolant. Period. The wrong fluid followed by a “song & dance” by the shop is not what she requested.

My apologies to everyone here that answered. I appreciate very much your input. I had a death in the family, and didn’t get back till today. I will call the mechanic. The only reason I have not thus far, is because the mechanic is a friend of my Mom’s, and I didn’t want to screw things up for her, even if he didn’t follow our written instructions to use Toyota Coolant.

Condolences to you.

No need to be particularly confrontational with the mechanic yet. Simply bring the car and suggest that he may have forgotten to use the proper coolant which you specifically recommended. See where it goes from there.

Sincere condolences on your loss. :frowning:

Hopefully the mechanic will sort this out for you free of charge with the use of what was requested.

That being said, I don’t think the use of the coolant your car received will be the kiss of death for it.
My son’s Camaro used to be plagued with engine coolant problems (and 3 premature water pump failures) with the use of GM recommended Dex-Cool. I went off the range with that one and started using some generic, inexpensive green coolant and zero problems over the last 12 years.