Mechanic installed wrong part

Prior to purchasing a used 2015 dodge journey, the dealership informed me an oik leak was fixed, costing over $500. This was one reason thr sale price was firm. About 4 months later, i lost a ton of oil and only realized it when there was a slight engine knock and checked the level. Showed no oil. Come to find out the cause of the leak was the oil filter housing. Then to find out the oil filter housing removed was for a 2013 dodge Journey. This car was 2015 and they are not listed as compatable. Im guessing this was the work that occurred prior to me buying it.
Question is, is there anything I can do. Im sure there is some engine damage cause it knocks and sounds like crap. Seems to still run good at this time but engine knocks

Thanks

You need a lawyer that specializes in this not CarTalk

But you should have checked the level long before it started knocking. You should have checked when you saw the oily puddle where you park the car. That is going to hurt any argument you have to get the dealer to pay for the new engine you now need.

1 Like

Assuming you have the 3.6L V6. The 2015 and 2013 part numbers are different. The 2015 part has an “improved design” . With that said that doesn’t mean the parts are not interchangeable. I’m leaning towards them being interchangeable as the car ran for 4 months with the older design part in it. And the Journey never got the revised Pentastar 3.6L (which came out for the 2016 model year) The part runs under $200. But the labor to replace it is likely where the the cost is.

As for what you can do? Do you have a warranty of any kind? But it does sound like you weren’t terribly diligent in checking your oil level, and that is probably something that’s listed in the small print as something that you have to do.

The engine almost certain has been damaged, there’s a fair chance it’s going to consume even more oil now, and it’s lifespan has likely been dramatically shortened as well. Is the Check Engine light on?

Check the level every time i gas it up. Not sure what your definition of long before but i will say i didn’t check it daily. Also you mention puddle. Did notice puddle. When there was no dipstick reading, there was a big puddle

Thanks, yea they are interchageable. It fits the same as the 2015. The cooler didnt fit the all aluminum adaptor i got. Thats how we found out it was a 2013. It being a 2013 may not have been the reason it went bad but it sure didnt last long, if thats the work that was even done before i bought it. I don’t know. Any idea why a 2013 would even be installed

Again thanks

Perhaps a used engine from a 2013 Journey was installed.

Car had oil leak repair. And you never checked oil level in 4 months?

Yea, everytine i filled up

So, 1 week ago it was full. And yesterday it was empty?

No, 2 weeks ago it was low a qt. A qt was added. 1 week ago laege puddle was discovered after idling to warm up

Ok. Thanks for details.
I missed part where you checked oil at every gas fill.

Now, you need to determine where the leak is emanating from, or take it to a competent mechanic who can figure it out for you. (Hint: If it continues to leak coolant at that rate, it isn’t going to end well for your wallet.)

The dealer replaced part may have been cause of oil leak. Or something else. It was 1 qt low last week. And even more so recently.

I’ve wondered: is it really a good idea to check your oil while filling up with gas?

Because unless you park the car at a gas pump at night…the engine will be warm because you had to drive there. Meaning the oil level showing on the dipstick will be less than accurate.

I know that old full service gas stations used to to check the oil for you, but was that really doing any good?

I always check mine when the engine is cold, or at least cool, and all the oil is (presumably) down in the oil pan. Just seems to me if you check the oil when the engine is hot or warm, the oil you’re seeing on the dipstick isn’t what’s in the pan. Which is what really matters.

unless you have a dry-sump system like the new C8 corvette. you check the oil after it is warmed up and while the engine is running. but that is a different kind of horse.

In the future, when buying a used car, the common advice here is to have your own mechanic to a pre-purchase inspection first. At this point you have a car w/an oil leak, and you’ll have to do what everyone else in that situation does: Evaluate the cause, and do the repair it if it’s economically viable. As mentioned above, if you feel you were mislead by the seller, that’s best left to the many internet legal forums.