Mazda RX8 - catalytic converter clog - lead to engine damage - what next?

Over the last seven months, I have replaced the brakes, transmission, hoses, tires, and various other components via the Mazda dealership. The car is almost 10 years old and has 96,000 miles.

I have taken the car in to have a “sluggish acceleration” problem looked at now 3 times (including yesterday) in the last 7 months. The first time they replaced the O2 sensor, plugs, and various other components with no mention of the possibility of the catalytic converter. The second time was the check engine light coming on, but still the acceleration issue. This time they replaced the hoses because they were cracked and apparently leaking. A simple Google search of “catalytic converter clog” will show that one of the most common symptoms in sluggish acceleration. Not being a car savant, I was not aware of this until after the fact.

My question is, having inspected the car 3 times in seven months, and given it a clean bill of health as recently as early March, should the dealership bear any of the cost of what is being quoted at a little over $6,000 to replace the catalytic converter and damaged motor (due to the catalytic converter clog)? If so, do you have any suggestions how to go about getting them to own up to their share of responsibility?

On the last visit I specifically asked the technician if there was anything that stood out as being a problem in the near future. His response was: “Our 25 year master technician has inspected the car and finds no potential issues.”

Thank you for your advice.

I’d start hunting around for a good independent mechanic and I’d also join a forum that is dedicated to Mazda rotary engines, just google for Mazda rotary engine forums. On the grey bar just below the red banner at the top of this page is a link to Mechanics Files, click on it and follow directions to find mechanics in your area that have been suggested by visitors to this site. But check with your local BBB because the information is not verified.

If you live outside of California, you can use an aftermarket cat and save about half the cost of one from Mazda.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?N=0&Nr=AND(wpn_tl_name:Engine+%26+Drivetrain,wpn_cat_name:Catalytic+Converters+%26+Components,wpn_scat_name:Catalytic+Converters,part:Catalytic+Converter)

As for holding the dealer responsible, very difficult. The damage was probably done before your first visit so I wouldn’t expect you to get anywhere on this one. I also don’t see how a plugged cat would lead to engine damage.

“A simple Google search of “catalytic converter clog” will show that one of the most common symptoms in sluggish acceleration”

I would never replace a cat converter from a guess.
Maybe have it removed and visually checked for clogging.
Has the fuel pressure been checked?
It could be a failing fuel pump or even just a clogged fuel filter.

“The second time was the check engine light coming on, but still the acceleration issue”

What was the error code(s) stored in the computer? Looks like P0123.
Post that here. It will be the first step away from guessing toward troubleshooting.

I would never replace an engine on a GUESS either. It doesn’t have valves so I doubt it is ruined.