Our 2008 Mazda 6 runs great. But, 4 weeks ago, I stayed in the garage with radio and cell phone charger on, key in Accessory position, while my wife went in the house for 5 - 10 minutes. When she returned, I didn’t have enough battery power to crank the engine. All the gauges went crazy when I tried to start up. I rolled down the driveway for a cheap jump start and drove to the mechanics shop. They put their tester on and said there was nothing wrong with the battery, alternator or starter. We drove off and and didn’t have another problem until last week.
My wife was getting ready for a road trip. She plugged the GPS into the same cigarette lighter socket while she loaded the rest of the car. When she was ready to go, the battery was flat! Turning on the ignition caused all of the gauges to bounce around and the dash lights were dim. Had to use jumper cables to get going. She drove for 2 hours before plugging in the GPS for directions. No problem with the engine running.
The car is still great. We took another trip and waited until we were on the road to plug in the GPS. We are very careful to unplug the GPS and/or Cell Phone (they use totally different chargers) when the engine isn’t running.
What can suck a perfectly good battery down to nothing in 15 minutes through a cigarette lighter outlet without blowing fuses or melting wires or making smoke? I checked carefully for heat or smoke both times.