(Mazda 3) Rear ended from behind - car won’t start

@Nevada_545 the charred wires ended up being the issue. However no one listened , but insisted on doing a diagnostic test to point out something that wasn’t even the problem. A jolt to the car, causing the battery to shift and then I ended up with charred wires which was causing additional issues. Now I’m out money, and I have to deal with the insurance still.

One idea, leave the replacement starter installed, and when it stops working — this is pretty much certain to occur at some point in the future – then put the original starter back in. That way you’re not out any $$, you are paying now for a part you’ll need later is all. If you can show the jolt to the car damaged the battery wires (which seems believable ), then it seems to me the other party’s insurance company should reimburse you for replacing the wires. Rather than the starter issues, suggest to focus on obtaining evidence the jolt damaged the wires. Also suggest to have the battery load tested, and the alternator tested, since if the wires were damaged , the battery and alternator may also have been damaged.

1 Like

It will be very difficult to convince an insurance adjuster that the battery cable damage was caused by the collision. The battery shouldn’t move around and the cables shouldn’t come loose.

If you can show that the collision broke the battery hold down hardware or the battery tray you may have a chance. Without under hood damage if they agree to pay for your battery cable repair they are being generous.