Maybe Just Coked?

This is a 2006 accord that the dealer (correctly) said needed a new block, right?

You can throw all the blah blah blah at it you want, the engine is damaged goods…

No, it’s a 98 Protege.

Mileage?

http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/2281983/check-engine#Item_30

It passed the injector test with flying colors. I even revved the engine while I was listening and the click sped up with the increased rpms. Did this on all four injectors.

I also smelled the oil on the dip stick and there was no obvious gas smell; just smelled like oil to me.

Should this be the next test I perform on the injectors?

A 1998 Mazda 4-banger with 170K miles…Install a fresh long-block or move on. The only REAL option is to move on…

OK, check that valve lash next.

I’m shooting for next weekend.

The valve cover gasket is still kinda new. It’s only been on since 2008 when the timing belt and water pump were replaced. Can I reuse it or should I buy a new one just in case?

Also, if the clearance does need to be adjusted it doesn’t look like I’ll be able to do it myself because my Haynes says not to attempt clearance adjustment because the task requires ‘‘numerous special fixtures and tools and should be left to the dealer’s service department.’’ Can these tools and fixtures be rented? Should they only be used by a skilled/trained technician?

Are you sure its not Pepsied instead of Coked?

I’m sure. I took a sample into my mechanic for a taste and he confirmed it.

He also recommended that I switch to diet since the car is a little over weight.

If the valve cover gasket is that new, you can reuse it.

You probably have a cam on bucket system. The cam is mounted directly over the valve with the bucket (tappet) in between. The lash is set by the thickness of the bucket or shims inside it. Sometimes in these cases, the dealers are the only ones with access to the special tools, but often the job can be done with common tools if you know how.

At least you can check the clearance, if you have a valve with 0 (zero) clearance, then get it to the dealer for repair. I would not be too concerned if it is off a little, especially if the gap is a bit larger than specified, smaller is a problem, especially if it gets less than 0.004"