May I rent your car?

I suspect those people use the rental to buy cars they otherwise couldn’t afford. Kinda like a beach house.

As an aside, a friend contracted with a limo for his daughter’s wedding. The driver owned several classic cars and afforded them by providing limo service.

Rental car companies let people rent their cars and make money on that deal, so such a thing must be possible. It seems like you’d need the same thing as the rental car companies have though, a team of lawyers, insurance experts, and political lobbyists, to make it work for the individual car owner.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s too loud, but you don’t buy a sports car expecting it to be as quiet as a Lincoln or Mercedes. See my previous comment about renting it out.

Probably single best reason to not lend/rent to a stranger: not to mention any other criminal uses—DNA or blood samples left in vehicle—lots of surveillance cameras, good enough to read license plates, around in all sorts of places these days…etc.

1 Like

While we are talking about it, some years ago I was thinking about buying a rental car and asked our fleet manager about it. He would buy a new car every year just because he liked to have new cars but he didn’t recommend a rental. He said they pay such a low price for the cars to start with that they end up selling them at the end for about what they paid for them. They get rid of them when the warranty is up. So they have a year or maybe two of essentially free use of the car and collect their $25 plus every day they have it. Years later I ended up buying one anyway and have been happy with it but dealers tend to pick the best ones for their lots. At any rate so now Joe Blow wants to rent his beater to a stranger and needs to compete with “Ugly Duckling” or the big boys and maybe doesn’t even have a warranty on his car. Even if he did have a warranty, do they cover potential abuse? Bad bad bad idea in my view.

I rented via Relay Rides while visiting Seattle. Car rental was insane expensive. 1/3 price: We took an airport shuttle to person’s house and rented their Audi sedan, 5 speed (with good tires) ! … and toured a loop around the peninsula for 5 days. Went camping in the rainforest.

A deal for me. We paid ~$60/day maybe if reg car rental was +$100. While away we Air BnB’ed our 2 bed home for $350/day. We usually rent a single bed room in our home for $60/night. I’d much rather rent a car than have a guest INSIDE my house. I would consider if it met my car payment. The company guarantees a kind of insurance.

Christ. Would have to install a 360 camera to record driving at alll times and live stream to YouTube for alibi. Could monetize the channel for extra income.

Most people need their car at at least once a day 5-7 days a week:

This service is a 24 hour rental. Nobody wants to fill out paperwork so they can drive your car a couple hours. Uber & smart car cover that. Would air bnb let you rent space at someone’s kitchen table for 45 min because nobody is sitting there? Lol.

Cars and houses are not the same. While many car rentals are for at least one day, there might be times when it could be for part of a day. What if someone needs seating for ten to attend an afternoon sporting event. They could pick the vehicle up in the morning and return it around dinner time. Someone that owns several unique limos could maximize revenue by doing this instead of paying drivers for each vehicle. I think you might attract the attention of the police if you rented your house by the hour, though.

Perhaps a great idea for a startup… (not)

That was happening to brand new Ford Focus cars as well. They were built in Mexico, shipped to the US for sale, and multiple stories of people finding drugs stuffed in hiding spots.

I’m skeptical that drugs are smuggled into the USA from Mexico in new cars. Provide a reputable reference.

+1
ATL’s claim smacks of truly FAKE news.
:thinking:

2 Likes

Citation: https://www.cnn.com/2017/07/16/us/marijuana-ford-fusion/index.html

Edited for peace

@jtsanders @VDCdriver @ATLOffroad

Thank you for the reference. I hope the owners, if they had been sold, didn’t lose their cars as the police usually seize any property associated with an ATF violation.

WOW - you really drank the Kool-Aid. You really shouldn’t make comments on subjects (like technology) that you haven’t a clue on.

1 Like

It took me about 20 seconds to find the story on google. Here you go.

Thanks. Bing already found it.

I only drink coffee and Coke. No Kool-Aid for me. Edited

I know EXACTLY how Google Search Algorithms work. I’ve written several search engines. I’ve also worked with Google Engineers to implement a Google Search solution. Sorry Bing…You haven’t a clue.

1 Like