Maximum Horsepower

My ideal set up is…eliminate the complicated transmission, get a sturdy, low rpm fuel injected pushrod gas motor to power a starter/ generator to power an electric drive motor. That would put a lot of mechanics out of business . It would not be super efficient but would be super reliable and could easily be made super fast with low tech.

"Wasn't Mercedes fooling with that a few years ago? I remember it was supposed to go in a C-class, but I don't think it ever did. "

How about a reference to what you are talking about.

@dagosa : You kinda described the Volt. It’s an electric car with an onboard generator to recharge the batteries to extend the range when you can’t charge it.

@shadowfox
I have to disagree…
The volt is actually a prarallel hybrid whose gas motor contributes drive power through a gear set at higher speeds. It is a parallel hybrid technology, contrary to what GM claims in their advertisements as just a range extender. As a drive motor, the gas motor needs a wider power band then a standard generator motor along with it’s overhead cams and added sophistication found in modern motors.

Please read the entire article.
GM finally admitts that the Volt operates in several modes, like the Prius and the gas motor connects to the drive train, like the Prius, and it drives the wheels in one of those modes, like the Prius. Surprise…it is a hybrid with a different drive train set up but essential, functions the SAME as a plug in Prius. That is, some times electric motor alone, some times with both gas and electric providing drive power.

From the get go, I always said the Volt concept was a farce… And I mistakenly understated it. It’s a deceptive and over priced farce. Those of you who remember my whining about it’s use more as an advertising tool and continued to promote it as the next answer to sliced bread…I want a heart felt apology. A beer would be fine ! ;=)

RPM is a major factor when computing horsepower. If you limit RPM to 7000, you will have limited horsepower to under 200…The formula for figuring horsepower uses torque and RPM as the base numbers…HP=TxRPM/ 5252

Dagosa I like your hybrid concept,constant speed on the combustion engine would sure help efficiency(along with some materials that would allow the combustion engine to operate at a higher temperature(daggone NOX again)- I think the electric motor makes an excellent transmission and drive unit-Kevin

in normal driving conditions, a 2l, can make about 240hp

@dagosa Well.

Looks like I owe you a beer! :slight_smile:

Kevin
I really don’t think that concept would be more efficient. If it were, it would be done. But, wouldn’t 'it potentially be more powerful and maintenance free. The life span of a diesel electric is measured in tens of years and hundreds of thousands of miles. My tractor operates that way with a hydraulic motor. It allows you to go from full power in one direction to the other repeatedly. Know any standard drive trains that could put up with that abuse ?

@shadowfox
I’m easy. A watered down light draft would be fine.