Master Cylinder Failure? 90 Eldorado 100K miles

I was driving today on the interstate and braked for a car exiting. My pedal, which had always been firm when depressed, suddenly slipped to the floor. I could stop the car, but it was very difficult to brake. I got the car to the next exit, checked under the hood, no obvious problems, fluid clean and full, brakes serviced within the last 5K miles. I do have the red brake warning light now on. Could the master cylinder have failed? What could cause such unexpected brake failure? Thanks for your help.

It could be a faulty brake master cylinder. Try this.

Start the engine, and with the engine idling, apply a light steady pressure on the brake pedal. If the brake pedal seems to slowly sink to the floor, the brake master cylinder is leaking internally.

Tester

Is this car equipped with ABS (anti-lock) brakes?? The system used in the Allante during these years, a Bosch prototype, was subject to TOTAL brake failure…The Allante and Eldo share the same platform…

Yes, ABS. I will have the local shop check it next week. I won’t be driving it until it is repaired. Thanks!

Yes, do NOT drive the car!! If it’s the ABS system, repairs can be prohibitively expensive if not impossible. The parts needed are no longer available. Good Luck…

If you are determined to fix it, try the Allante net for parts support…