Manufacturer's design shortcuts

I only have replaced one timing belt myself, 1970-something Pinto. Belt broke in my driveway. Fifteen minute job, line up the timing marks on the pulleys, slip on the belt, done.

2 Likes

And you got it done all on your own

Great job! :smiley:

That is standard practice across EVERY automaker to a small (Ferrari) or huge (Corolla) degree. Most would not be able to afford a car made with 100% bespoke parts. Engineers are encouraged to use “shelf” parts whenever possible as well… That flange head 60 mm long 10mm bolt instead of a 63.5 mm custom bolt.

After all, they aren’t the Government and can’t afford $600 Allen wrenches!

1 Like

In 1949, Ford bought the General Motors Hydramatic automatic transmissions for its Lincoln division. The Hydramatic was used in the Lincoln for several model years. Nash, Hudson, Kaiser-Frazer purchased the GM Hydramatic as well.

1 Like

Mine didn’t leak either. You could smell it through the vents.

Fogging up all the inside windows was a dead giveaway, but I am my own warranty provider and only had to argue with myself.

1 Like

+1
And, shortly after Studebaker launched their automatic transmission, Ford offered to pay a pretty large sum in order to license the rights so that they could use it in their cars. Studebaker’s management refused, which was just one more example of bad decision making on their part.

Heh heh. More Gm parts in a ford than ford parts. Just kidding.

But them I’m told the best engine replacement for a Morris minor is a Datsun engine. Evidently bolts right up with maybe an a dapter kit as Johnny cash would say.

I’ve always enjoyed Cash’s music, even in the 60’s when he wasn’t super popular among the teenagers of the time, but don’t understand the “adapter kit” reference.

When the Johnny Cash show was on tv, I was there on the couch. His show had some great guests who you might not expect for his genre, including an early appearance by Neil Young.

It is from the song one piece at a time.

1 Like

In the song one part at a time where he stole a part every day through the years building caddy’s. Got all done and started putting it all together with parts from over 20 years or so, he says they got the engine to fit
With the help of “an a dapter kit”. Funny song. Got it one piece at a time and never cost me a dime.

1 Like

Yeah, thanks for the reminder about that song. I’ve heard it many times. I just read the lyrics, got a good chuckle :wink:

I know you were joking, but it’s possible. Before my brother-in-law moved to Michigan to become a plant manager for Chryco he was a General Manager at New Process Gear in Syracuse. NPG was part of Chrysler. And at that time only 45% of their transfer-cases went into Chryco (Dodge, Ram) vehicles. Most went to GM and Ford. My GMC S-15 had a NPG transfer-case in it. This isn’t new. Been going on for decades.

1 Like

Ford incorporated New Process xfer cases into some of their 70’s 4WD trucks. Maybe even earlier than that.

GM used to sell Turbo 400 automatics to Rolls Royce, Jaguar and others.

1 Like

I’ve seen NP transfer cases in GM, Dodge, (and I think Jeep) vehicles. Back in the older days, you’d see Borg Warner transfer cases (and manual transmissions) in a lot of trucks. NP seems to have somewhat taken the place of BW in the transfer case game. For whatever reason.

There’s a company here in NH (Hitchner Manufacturing) that makes brake caliper bracket for RR. Big casting company.

NP became New Venture Gear in the 90’s. The plant closed in 2011. I had at least 10 relatives that worked there over the years.

1 Like

Hmmm, All of my 4wd’s have been older than 2011, so I suppose I’m out of touch.

@Jerome-Silverman mentioned “timing belts instead of gears”

Not sure exactly what you are referring to? By “gears” do you mean you prefer an engine w/a timing chain rather than a timing belt? Or do you mean you prefer an engine that syncs the crankshaft to the camshaft directly, using gears? I’m not an engine configuration expert by any means, but the only engine I can think of that might do it that way was the VW air cooled engine from the 60’s & 70’s. Or are you referring to engines with two camshafts, and you prefer one camshaft drive the other w/gears? That’s how my Corolla is configured, one cam sprocket drives both cams using a gear arrangement. Most dual overhead cams on newer cars are each driven by the timing belt, using separate cam sprockets.

1 Like