Manufacturer's design shortcuts

Because manufacturers don’t WANT the bolts to fall out and the bolts are typically zinc plated for corrosion protection

What would you prefer? Steel (so impacts will injure you)? Leather (that is still backed by plastics)? Wood (so the impacts can splinter and impale you)?

So you don’t SEE any fasteners. Fasteners are considered ugly.

All brake rotors have some extra material. Shops don’t turn them because it is more cost effective to replace them because they are cheap to buy new.

No manufacturer does this anymore and haven’t for 40+ years. Rockers and frames are galvanized, sometimes on both sides, and many are hot dipped in a paint bath to protect them.

Rubber quality today is FAR better than stuff used prior to the 1980s and lasts far longer. The same can be said of plastics.

The charging is controlled by the ECU which also has temperature inputs from outside, the intake air, coolant and more. Batteries die in the south because engine compartments are FULL and therefore very HOT. My trunk mounted battery lasted 7 years on my Florida car.

My GM truck has one.

The CD is a dead player in the music business as are cassettes, 8-tracks and 45 records. Sorry, that is just the way it is Grandpa! :smiley:

Huh? My single-line pressure system has a pressure measurement port plus the quick-connect lines pop off easily. Just how many times has this affected you?

Manufacturers use the best they can buy and my experience with them is far better lately than my 60s ad 70s cars. The transmission must come to replace a rear main and that will be expensive no matter what you do.

Nope. Very rare to have a towable automatic.

I have one in 2 of my 3 cars. That’s a majority.

So do 2 of my 3 cars… that’s another majority!

Every transmission has a filler port of some sort. If you are bemoaning the lack of a dipstick, that is a separate argument.

So what about the oil pickup screen? And what about the oil filter itself? BOTH are between the turbo outlet which goes straight to the pan and the oil pressure galleries.

Again, get with it Grandpa.

My 18 year old truck’s switches work fine… and they’ve been exposed to lots of dirt.

8 Likes