Manufacturer Ratings or Model Ratings?

Hi there, I’m researching a car or suv to lease and wonder if you might give me a bit of advice.

I know very little about cars, but for a long time I’ve been under the impression that for a reliable vehicle, get a Honda, Subaru, or Toyota (Consumer Reports lists Mazda as “very good” in reliability, too). I hadn’t planned on taking a test drive in any other makes. And since my major limiting factor for cars is my size–6’5" very very broad–I figured I would only be looking at a handful of models total.

However, when I adjust the Consumer Reports’ website “car selector” to show only cars/suvs they recommend and only those ranked 4 or 5 (out of 5) in reliability, and I arrange the search by headroom, there are plenty of other makes and models with very high ratings and hopeful interior dimensions. The Volkswagen Golf (shockingly) has tons of headroom and gets terrific scores from CR. The Nissan Leaf? The Mitsubishi Outlander? How important are manufacturer reliability ratings versus specific model ratings?

Thanks,

Michael

I’d skip the Outlander, Mitsubishi is doing poorly. And the Leaf is only an option as a short-distance commuter, nothing more. But are there a number of good cars out there? Sure. I switched from Toyota to Ford products because they better meet my needs (LOTS of headroom).

For me, cost is the #1 factor after interior dimensions. And I figure for cost, reliability is the biggest factor. Am I wrong? Who cares whether Car A gets 2mpg better than Car B and Car A costs $30 less per month, if Car A is a much bigger risk to cost me $4,000 in repairs?

You want roomy and cheap, look at the Scion xB.

" For me, cost is the #1 factor after interior dimensions. And I figure for cost, reliability is the biggest factor. Am I wrong? "

Well . . .

Who cares whether Car A gets 2mpg better than Car B and Car A costs $30 less per month, if Car A is a much bigger risk to cost me $4,000 in repairs? "

Kind of . . .

Reliability surveys like the ones found in consumer magazines are designed to “magnify” any perceived differences in reliability. Actually, the manufacturers have all become quite close in across the make reliability. The domestic badged cars continue to close the very small (insignificant ? ) gap each year.

I’d say that each manufacturer has models that are more reliable than other models by that manufacturer and a make that rates lower averall could have models that have proven reliability over some cars by a manufacturer that rates higher overall.

" I know very little about cars . . . "

I like to think that I know a thing or two. I have 7 cars in my driveway and basically repair and maintain them all. The wouldn’t all be domestic cars (GM and Chrysler) if I thought they were not reliable and expensive to own. I’ve worked at Asian and European car dealers and have owned both products.

That brings up another point - maintenance. Reliability and maintenance both have costs attached to them and they are not the same thing. Many Asian and European cars can require more expensive maintenance than many domestic cars.

Then there’s dealer service and parts support and aftermarket parts and independent mechanic support. You need to see if you have good support in your location in these departments.

Bottom line - If I was 6’5" and large, I’d shop for a car that fit and was safe to drive first and then check reliability problem areas and compare maintenance costs.

Find a car and then post your choice or two here and we’ll let you know what to expect.
Really, if you lease then the car will probably be covered by warranty and reliability differences, for the most part, won’t won’t make a hill of beans worth significance. You may be only paying for little or no maintenance and no repairs. Be sure to compare warranty information.

Go shopping. Post candidates here. Consider renting a car for a day or two when you find a likely candidate. Check insurance costs with your insurance agent prior to lease/purchase and compare fuel economy.

How many miles will you drive per year ?

CSA

The auto market has changed a lot in the last 10 years. The traditionally Japanese auto companies generated a lot of business by providing vehicles with excellent reliability. Their well-erned sales forced other manufacturers to improve their reliability if they want to stay in business. While Honda and Toyota still provide reliable vehicles, many other companies do too. And except for a very few companies (Mini, Jaguar, and Rover come to mind), the difference between the top and bottom of the market is not that much; a couple hundred bucks a year. Add to that VW has free maintenance for 3 ys/36,000 miles. If you are leasing, that can be an incentive.

If fit is an issue, take your time and try out lots of cars for yourself. Variety is the key and every body type is different. I would still recomend you stay with cars recomended by CR. Like @texases says, the Scion xb is the epitome of cheap, reliable and roomy.

If you are leasing, long term reliability shouldn’t even factor into the equation. You rent the car for 2~3 years at a predetermined price each month. When your rental time is up, you give the car back