Manual transmission Advanced driving techniques

When driving a manual transmission new production car. What effect dose double clutching with rev matching have on the transmission and clutch when columbined with heel and toe down shifting. I want to know if these techniques help or hurt the respective components of the car. I can perform theses techniques correctly. It seems to me that if you doulble clutch you will ware out the clutch faster as you are simply using it more per each shift. If simply resting your foot on the clutch how ever lightly (note I do not do this ) can ware out the clutch. Why wouldn’t just proper rev matching help more than double clutching?

Thank you

Classic over thinking. Shifting manual transmission properly ( without or with double clutching ) is all that matters.
I think you meant component wear - as in does it make a difference.

1 Like

I see no reason to double clutch on a new car. As for heel and toe downshifting, sure, you’ll want to do that if you are downshifting, in order to minimize clutch wear. But I use the brakes instead to slow the car.

1 Like

Yes will the components wear faster if you double clutch? So are you saveing your syncros but wearing out the clutch faster?

The clutch will. Clutch only wears during the act of clutching. When peddle is all the way out - no wear…when peddle is fully depressed - no clutch wear…however there is wear on the throw-out bearing.

2 Likes

I am with Texas, double clutching is a waste of time. I think you are worrying too much. Just drive and enjoy, the wear factor is probably too small to measure.

2 Likes

Yes to reduce speed brake pads are cheaper to replace than transmissions.
But I will give the OP the benefit of the doubt and assume he wants to maintain engine speed to accelerate out of a curve.

1 Like

I am not so worried about it it’s just that I like to know what effect it has. To double clutch the point from what I understand is to match the syncros to shift smoother. But correct me if I’m wrong if you properly rev match shouldent you shift smoothly with out the added wear on the clutch.

Wear is part of the process. I just like to know if there is any maret to those techniques. To me it’s not a good thing if you save a syncro at the expense of wearing out the clutch faster. If that’s the case Tex I can get behind you. It would be pointless.

I really enjoy driving M/T to me there is no better driving experance than being connected with your car and really controlling your car properly.

There’s no benefit for double clutching in a car. Big truck maybe, but not a car.

Heal and toe downshifting is to allow smooth engagement in each gear when the RPM’s are higher. That only really applies when you are driving briskly rather than just calmly driving around town. Doeble clutching is just not needed, ever. It is great to learn the techniques because they can make you a smoother driver.

That said, I’ve track raced cars for over 30 years and rarely did I heel-and-toe downshift. The exception would be certain 2nd gear corners. If there is enough time to let the engine’s RPM’s drop as you hesitate between shifts, the synchos in a modern transmission will take car of all that for you.

World War II army vehicles were the last ones I drove that required double clutching. All gear boxes are synchronized these days and double clutching is completely unnecessary. I’m not sure why you even ask the question.

Two reasons 1) I want to know if using double clutching with heel and toe and rev matching to drive smoother, can it put extra wear on the components.

1. since the responses have been you can wear out the components faster. What techniques can you use to drive smoother and not wear out the components or at least put an even wear on them. Can with proper rev matching make a smoother ride with out incurring excessive wear. If it helps you drive smoother but puts more wear on your components then what’s the point.

I want to know how to improve my driving on the road and when I go to to track and I just love driving.

I want to know how to improve my driving on the road and when I go to to track and I just love driving.]

Then you need to go to driving school or at least talk to someone at this track you go to.

since the responses have been you can wear out the components faster

]I have not read all the replies but I don’t think anyone said anything about excessive wear either way.

I used to heal and toe back in the sixties but I don’t see how you would do that in a modern vehicle. Back then, the gas pedals all hinged on the floor so you only needed to raise your heel just a little and turn your foot in to work both the brake and gas.

Now the gas pedal hangs just like the other pedals and it is on the same level as the brake and clutch pedals. That would require you to turn your foot 90 degrees inward. I can’t get my feet to pigeon toe that much.

The reason I ask is because I want to know. Some people say double clutch works and sware by it and others like here say it’s unnessary and results will wear out the clutch faster.

Even you Volvo said you Agee with Tex and it is a waste of time.

True Keith now if you have a performance car that has a M/T the gas and brake sometimes tend to be closer together but not always. So it tends to be more of a blip ball of foot on about half of the break and kind of just roll the foot to blip the gas.

I know this is not English 101 but it is brake not break.

If you are driving a modern high performance car and you are on a track in a race and you double clutch and/or heal and toe, you are simply coming in last place. No one does that anymore. The syncros are so good in modern transmissions that is is unnecessary and time consuming. Time consuming being the reason that you would be destined to finish in last place.

Yes to the double clutch. But heel and toe depends on the track according to mustangman but I always use heel and toe to set the weight tranfer and accelerate out of the corner.

You are right but for a different reason. The gas and brake pedal are usually far enough apart that you can’t heal and toe easily without EEE wide feet. I think the design and safety guys (and gals) make sure of that.

There ARE ways to fix that. Loosen the gas pedal mounting screws and twist the pedal towards the brake. If that’s not enough, enlarge the holes in the plastic pedal mount just slightly to give more slop to move it. Toe the brake pedal and heel-blip the gas kinda pigeon-toed.