Making truck faster

Most of my attempts to make more power has been with motorcycles and I learned the hard way that no matter how much more power I could get out of the engine, I wouldn’t be happy with it. Bigger motorcycles, I still wanted more. Being a horsepower junkie is a lot like being a heroin junkie and is just about as expensive.
I came to my senses in my mid 20’s and learned to just leave my bikes alone and just enjoy the ride rather than trying to prove how fast I could go to a world that will little note nor long remember who’s motorcycle could go the fastest.

I saw one of those in Pasadena in the '70s.

I agree. A lot of the demand for more power is based on the perception and expectations of other drivers. In other words, people want more power because they don’t want other drivers to tailgate them, or pass them out of impatience.

A lot of older cars which are now considered “underpowered” were considered more than adequate in their day. It’s just that in an era where the cheapest economy cars have over 150 hp, older cars cannot accelerate at the rate which other drivers demand.

For example, one of the cars I presently own is a 1995 Dodge Caravan with the 2.5L “K-Car” engine. While this was no speed demon when new, it is apparently way underpowered by today’s standards, because I often find myself being passed up by other impatient drivers. I really don’t care, though, because I think the performance is adequate for this type of vehicle.

BTW, I have driven a 4-cylinder Ranger in the past, with the 3-speed automatic, and I thought its performance was adequate.

I chucked when I read this, because it’s so true. That was me for a time in my younger years. I’m sure I’m in good company.

My bro had several Ford Rangers with the lethargic four cylinder. He complained all the time about the acceleration. But he kept buying them because they were a good bang for the buck. The bottom line is, they are cheap for a reason. Trying to make them accelerate better will just detract from their endurance which defeats the whole purpose of owning a Ranger.

Good point. I guess the only solution to think in relative terms. Like, “I’ve owned underpowered cars for so long, anything that gets to 60 in less then a decade is a rocket. “

If you consider all the outrageous things that people have done in order to feel superior to others financing horsepower, luxury, nostalgia, etc in an automobile is somewhat mundane.

1 Like

Last week, I saw a fairly new Hyundai Accent parked at the local Post Office.
The owner had affixed two chrome-finish plaques on the back of the car. One read “4WD”, and the other read “Turbo”.

While it probably doesn’t cost very much to buy those plastic plaques at Wal-Mart, I’m not sure who the owner thought that he was fooling–unless he has a sense of humor that favors the absurd and he did it as a joke.
:thinking:

Just to reiterate / emphasize some of what’s been said re: putting a more powerful engine in, you can go crazy (and broke) doing it. I’ve got a 1986 Land Rover Defender 110 that got a conversion to house an 6.2L V8 LS3 Corvette engine…and ALL the other work that needed doing to go along with it so it stayed in one piece when all that power was applied.

The custom built performance powertrain included:
MSD Atomic LS EFI - Programmable fuel management system
• Holly performance oil pan (and custom made overflow)
• Aeromotive Phantom 200 Performance Fuel System
• LS3 Performance Tight Fit Headers
• Custom Twisted performance radiator
• Custom aluminum coolant overflow and steering tanks
• Heavy duty fuel lines
• Custom built Chevy automatic 4L80E Super Duty transmission with digital PCS Automatic push-button shifter – Performance-rated up to 750hp/700tq (by Monster Transmissions)

Plus:

· MSD Atomic LS Transmission Harness & Controller (programmable transmission management system)
· Custom built Magna Flow full dual exhaust
· Custom Terrafirma performance suspension w/Bilstein steering damper & sport springs, and
· Heavy duty axles

…And that’s after a full, frame-off restoration that included soundproofing (dampening). All told, it’s had a solid $200 large put into it – and more still to come, no doubt.

I will say tho: It. Is. A. BEAST! However, at 8-9 mpg, it’s not really a daily driver – so I just got a Focus RS this weekend so I had something at least slightly more practical. Haha!

Glad to see you used the MSD Atomic, so many people build an engine like yours then stick a carburetor on it! Old school looks=old school problems.

If you wanted a sports car, why didn’t you just buy one?

I’m pretty sure I know what he really wants:

Unfortunately, they’re next to impossible to find - at least an example that hasn’t been thoroughly ragged out.

$200k for an engine/tranny swap? Seems like it would be closer to a $20k job.

Surprised nobody has mention re-gearing

If he has some tall gears in this truck like 3.08’s or 3.45’s going to the 3.73’s or even the 4.11’s, all of which were options for Ford Rangers, would greatly improve acceleration and better maintain freeway speeds in 5th gear in hilly areas.

If you’re running the small 14" or 15’’ - 235/70/15r or smaller tires, I wouldn’t recommend the 4.11’s.

Frame off restoration.

Even then, it’s s ludicrous number. It’s Land Rover Defender, not exactly a rare (they are everywhere in Europe/Asia/Africa) or complex vehicle.

4 cylinder rangers of that vintage typically had 3.73 or 4.10 gears standard.

1 Like

And don’t do this to your Ranger:

1 Like

No…$200k for the restoration and engine conversion, which included heavier duty axles, Monster built transmission rated to 750hp, Wilwood brake system with Twisted 6-pot forward and 4-pot aft brakes, alcantara suede header, 6 custom leather Captain’s chairs, custom dual side-port exhaust, +, +, +.
The new LS3 engine itself cost somewhere around $30k-$35k before installing, tho.

You obviously haven’t ever had something like that imported before. While not rare in Europe, they’re illegal here save for 1994 models (the only year they were imported, and only about 300 were produced for the US that year), or else any that are over 25 yrs old. The later is checked closely since there were many attempts made to fake the VINs on new models to pass them off as refurbished old models – which the FBI gleefully impounded and crushed.