Maintenance intervals for ultra low mileage

[texases] “I’d also be using Stabil twice a year.”

I would consider not filling the tank. Consider the tank full when it registers half full. That will keep the fuel in the tank a little fresher. I agree with using Stabil, but I would suggest just once a year.

[Bing] Synthetic has advantages other than just a longer life. I would stick with synthetic on any car that calls for it, if fact I might use it on low mileage use cars even if it was not specified for my car under normal conditions.

I also recommend the OP check their owner’s manual and note the instructions and definition of severe conditions.

Your 2008 is depreciating, your state is probably charging plenty for registration, and the warranty clock is ticking, so consider selling it if you have committed to the Leaf. You can easily rent a larger car if you need it occasionally.

If you decide to keep the 2008, consider examining and changing hte fuel filter periodically, just in case some crud sneaks by the Stabil.

First of all, let me say that you folks are awesome. While it’s under warranty, I’ll continue to follow the schedule 2 maintenance, by time. As an aside, I’ll find someone other than the dealer to do this, as I’m tiring of them pushing $1000 premium service schedule items every time I go there. No amount of free biscotti and espresso is worth that.

Regarding selling the Infiniti and renting a car when we need it, this is something we’ve been considering since before we bought the Leaf. Another option is going comprehensive-only on insurance, calling the insurance company to switch on collision, etc. when we plan to drive it. The issues are unanticipated needs to use the second car on occasion, and kids approaching driving age. We are still debating this.

Leaf maintenance is minimal; this is a savings rarely mentioned when people compare electric versus ICE vehicles. Basically, they recommend that you bring it in every six months to rotate the tires and inspect things like brake pads and various mechanical items. Each year, they do a battery check; in fact, they are also doing 6-month battery checks (I think they’re collecting real-world usage data). These are free during the warranty period. Other than that, they seems to want to replace the brake fluid at least every two years, and the in-cabin micro filter whenever they can get their hands on you. At 84 months, the maintenance schedule shows a coolant replacement. So the major wear parts are brakes, tires, and wiper blades.