Low octane fuel in a high-octane required vehicle?

Point taken, JT.

87 octane fuel is not an inferior product, unless you are using it in a vehicle that requires high octane fuel.

Whitey, if I may, I think JT is just suggesting a different choice of words. Many read this forum to learn, and “regular” gasoline is no more inferior to “premium (high octane)” than a 1/4" Craftsman flatbladed screwdriver is to a 3/8" Craftsman flat bladed screwdriver. They’re both good quality, they just fit different sizes.

If 87 octane is used on an engine that requires high octane, the 87 isn’t inferior, just being inappropriately used.

There are many folks out there that pay extra for “premium” needlessly, because they think it’s better quality. I think JT is just suggesting that we not perpetuate that myth.

I get it. “Inferior” isn’t the right choice of words. “Inappropriate” would work better, like using the wrong tool for the job.

You’ve got it!

Have a beautiful evening.

And you got it, too, SMB. Thank for your excellent explanation. I knew Whitey didn’t mean it that way.

Unfortunately, in the never ending quest to use smaller engines to improve EPA ratings, a lot of manufacturers are turning to turbos and even small superchargers. It allows the use of smaller engines in applications that otherwise would have required larger ones for acceptable performance.

They have to find a way to satisfy their customers and meet the impending new CAFE regulations. This is an easy way to do it until they can move into hybrids or electric vehicles.

If you do opt for the turbo, use the higher octane gas. You will actually get worse mileage out of the cheaper gas as the engine computer tries to compensate by dialing back performance. And the computer has to detect spark knock before it can dial it back, so there is still a possibility of damage occurring before the computer can react. It’s not worth risking it for a savings of under $2.00 for an average fill up.

Everyone’s different, but I’d miss the performance more than the better economy anyway. I have a V8-powered vehicle, and the way I describe it to people is that I’m a little sad at the gas pump, but I’m smiling every other time I drive it.

My Passat calls for 91. Pumps around here offer 87, 89 and 93. I use 89. Car seems happy enough.

Have you considered mixing the 89 and the 93? You would end up with 91 octane fuel with a 50/50 mix of the two.

@Trombenik

If you live in or near the Rockies, the elevation will decrease the octane requirement. If you are closer to seal level, the VW requirement is in force as written.

We refuel at 1/2 tank levels. I suppose I COULD just alternate the 89 and 93.

Wifes Lexus calls for 91…We just fill with 93…Lot easier then trying to figure out the correct BLEND of gas.

My old car calls for 89 octane. I fill it with 89 on one fill up, then 87 on the next one. I don’t let it run lower than 1/4 tank. The octane seems to even out and I never have spark knock or a noticeable change in performance.