Low mpg; dealer recommended $59 gas cap

Thank you for your analysis of my situation.
Charlie

I second this. I had a friend who had a newer Focus (same engine I believe) that at the time was like new, did mostly 100% highway but never got anymore than 26mpg ever because of all the hills in Western MA, and being a heavier person such as myself. If I was to drive it, Iā€™d likely get 18mpg highway because Iā€™d probably have the pedal on the metal on a 4 banger most of the time.

If the check engine light isnā€™t on and itā€™s idling smoothly and whatnot, there probably isnā€™t too terribly much you can do to improve gas mileage.

1 Like

Thanks for the input

Inquiring minds want to know. Did you buy a $59.00 gas cap?

1 Like

No, I did not buy the $59 gas cap, since most everyone here believes thatā€™s not the problem. I donā€™t want to spend more money on repair shops charging for diagnostic fishing around for more ways to charge me more fees

I donā€™t recall an explanation of why the car needs a new fuel cap. It certainly isnā€™t because of gallons of fuel evaporating, even if the cap were missing the loss would be minimal.

The repairmanā€™s claim is that fuel caps have changed in size during the last 12 years and the cap I have does not fit right and vapors escape. They say I need the old original size cap (by Ford) to give it a perfect seal so vapors canā€™t escape (up to a full gallon lost)

Fuel cap designs have changed over the years, did you install the wrong cap? A fuel cap vapor leak will sooner or later trigger a fault and illuminate the check engine light.

What has drawn the mechanics attention to the fuel cap?

The existing cap came with the car when I bought it last year. It seems to fit fineā€¦but I donā€™t know. This was his last ditch guess as to why the mpg is low. He supposedly did all kinds of computer checks & thatā€™s the best he came up with after the fuel pump change.

You need to get a second opinion from a different shop. Something doesnā€™t smell right about what youā€™re being told.

You came here because you donā€™t trust what these people told you. Now you need to find a shop you trust and go there form now on.

thank you.