Loud grinding noise from brakes and severe vibration in brake pedal

I don’t think most shops will add studs to a tire that has been driven, simply due to the fact the holes are starting to wear out. But maybe I’m wrong. It’s worth a shot. As long as it’s legal in your area, there are no downfalls to driving around with studs in the winter. As for your braking issue, if you can get access to a heated garage or an area where you can pull your wheels, it won’t take much to take off your wheels and just take a look and see if you can see anything out of the ordinary going on with your brakes. You might find a loose caliper, damaged rotor, ??? The week after I bought my new buick (in 1998) my ABS light came on and stayed on. I crawled under the car and found the ABS sensor dangling by the wires. It was never mounted properly, and worked enough to pass the tests at the plant, then became loose enough to pop up and out and hang down. I removed the tire, reinstalled the sensor, when it snapped into place, I realized I saved myself a trip to the dealer, and time off work, etc. So even if you are not a mechanic, but can safely and properly R and R your tires, it might be worth a shot…

I think you may be right about the studs. Thanks for your thoughts. I’ll take a look at them. The weather has warmed up & I can safely remove the front wheels and look at the works outside.

I believe you! I have the exact same problem. It started a couple of days ago with the first snowfall. I hadn’t put all of the pieces together until I read your post.
I now realize it’s only in snow that this happens to me. Everything you described is exactly what happens with me and the strange thing is that I googled “brake loud grinding sound” and came up with you and your Matrix. I have a 2006 Matrix XR…hmmmm. I had Toyota check my brakes yesterday, they found nothing. Brakes are still in good shape and they thought maybe a rock had gotten in. I left with no problem until I got to the street I live on, which has snow (not cleared like the main streets).
I’m so happy I found your post, I’ll be taking it as well as the replies (of those who believe it is not normal) to Toyota today.
I was told by Toyota that Matrix’s older then my 2006 had a problem with the abs computer but not in my year and newer. NOT.
The noise comes from the front right side of my car, just where one of the repliers said the abs instrument sits.

I hear your frustration – did you get it fixed??? Today it took me well over an hour to get home (20 minute drive) (snow in Wisconsin, yes on October 23rd) this happened last year under the same snowy wet conditions. I drive a ford focus and the breaks grind, the car shakes, and I can’t control the car on the roads even at 10 mph. It is like the breaks are locked and I am getting absolutely no traction. I freak when I see hills because there is just no way to get up them. It also feels like it is stuck in first or second gear. The cars were lined up behind me and a little sports car flew around me – the conditions were bad but my car was the problem. At times I turned the wheel almost a 360 to correct a little slick spot but the steering wheel felt like it wasn’t even connected to the wheels because it didn’t do much. I hear what you are saying!!! If you got it fixed please up-date this post with the results.