Looooong Road Trip

Another good read: John Steinbeck’s “Travels with Charlie”. He had a camper mounted in a pickup truck. Charlie was his dog.

2 Likes

Can you actually sleep inside a RAV? Seems a bit on the small side. Or are you going the tent route? At least it is high on the reliability list if well maintained.

Had you thought of a Honda Element? They aren’t made anymore and the newest is a 2011. Very van-like and may have more sleep-in room than a RAV.

Hmmm… I’m in MS. Curious if you remember what the name of nowhere, MS was? I may have been there!

Everywhere?

It wasn’t too far out from Jackson, and it did have an Auto Zone open on a Sunday (pretty much the only place that was). I lucked out because I coasted as far as I could before the needle hit red. The guy was like " Nope, we don’t have an MB radiator hose." I said, “We’ll I’m not leaving until I fix that.”, so he let me rummage through the back to find something that was close enough, and with some help from a razor and some more coolant (yes, sacrilege to MB owners, it was generic coolant), we were soon back on our way to Vicksburg, which is a beautiful spot for all you non-MSers…

With the Rav, I’d remove the back seats. Somewhere to curl up in, just in case. Elements are amazing. A friend turned me on to them Summer. Thanks for the reminder!

Good post. This is one of my favorite road trip books too. It’s such a fun, light-hearted read. Some folks are sort of turned off from Steinbeck from reading “mice and men”, “east of eden”, which can be sort of depressing, but Travels w/Charlie is nothing like that. The only thing sort of bad that happens is Charlie nearly gets in a little dust-up with some bears … lol …it’s a non-fiction account of a big loop around the USA Steinbeck actually took, just he and his standard size French Poodle Charlie. It’s a hoot. Oh, one more funny thing, he names his truck after Don Quixote’s horse … lol …