Looking for CV axle rebuilders in the West cost?

I searched online and ebay - could not find cv axle re builders in the area.
Wondering if any of you might point me in the right direction?

Not on the west coast, but have you looked at https://www.raxles.com/ ?

Your search engine must not be as good as mine . But just buy new ones and be done with it.

1 Like

Just my guess, buying a remanufactured axle would likely be more cost effective than having your existing axle rebuilt.

Get them faster too. There might be a core charge that is refunded when the old axles are sent to the vendor.

Are you looking for the wholesale rebuilders or just a supplier? I have gotten rebuilt axles from NAPA and Champion. I have no idea who did the actual work. Try google depending on what you are looking for but many pop up with a simple query. Often folks that do u joints, drive shafts, springs, etc. also rebuild CV joints.

Unless you’re driving a Ferrari or have an emotional attachment to your worn CV axles I don’t understand why you’d want to have someone rebuild your own axles (leaving your car up on stands for days) instead buying a rebuilt or new unit off the shelf?

1 Like

Salt Lake City is the closest I’ve found so far, but would rebuild your core and return if needed, the only time i’ve seen a need was at the voch tech school when a customer’s Mitsubishi’s Automatic transmissiion took a CV shaft that no remanufacturer that our vendors in the Seattle area had anywhere in the country.
CV Axle Express Inc - Quality Axle Rebuilding/Remanufacturing

You’ve brought up a valid concern. I used to work at Advance Auto. I asked why we didn’t sell remanufactured axles. I was told the quality was inconsistent. They only sold new from China. Decent quality but would not hold up under high performance use. I had one customer go through two sets on his VW GTI in no time, while the factory ones had many miles & years before he replaced them with our new ones.

Having had occasional, similar, bad experience I think I undertstand but a better solution would be to find a local vendor of superior parts, possibly even new parts from a local auto dealer.

Of course better quality parts will probably cost more but replacing a CV is a PITA, not something you’d want to do multiple times so spending more upfront is worth it.

Then there’s the time factor, how long do you want to wait with the current CV removed and your car up on blocks while yours is getting rebuilt and shipped back and forth.
And finally there’s the Murphy’s Law factor, what happens if your part gets lost or damaged in shipping or more likely, someone at the factory throws your CV into the To Be Rebuilt bin and ships you another one from the shelf?

Save yourself some time and aggravation, spend a little more on quality and just Git 'Er Done.

I rebuilt my Corolla’s and prior Rabbit’s CV joints several times myself, usually as part of a boot replacement, but not aware of any shop that currently offers this service. There may be liability issues, don’t know. I think around 1995 there was a change to how CV joints install on the axle, which makes it much more difficult to remove the joint from the axle. On my cars there’s a removable snap ring that holds the CV joint on, but I think that snap ring method isn’t used anymore. If you post the model year of your integra I might be able to tell you.

What constitutes a rebuild for you? What beyond cleaning, greasing, and a new boot?

I think rebuilders used to “mic” each ball and replace with oversized as needed……myself I just order some lobro or meyle when my VW Rabbits needed CV joints. My many Air cooled VW’s never seemed to need them.

I am in favor of keeping the factory axle assemblies if they are not damaged.

Clean, grease and new boots on OEM axles is better than cheap replacements.

I have seen a number of axle assemblies that were replaced with the “new and be done with it” thinking that resulted in a vibration. The new OEM axle assembly is $800, original axle assembly with the torn boot gone for a small core charge.

In the late '80’s there was a company offering CV joint cages/ball retainers to replace worn units, this service did not last long. What parts did you replace during your rebuild?

Probably thanks to a combination of heavy duty joints and light duty service :smile:

[quote=“texases, post:15, topic:184418”]
Probably thanks to a combination of heavy duty joints and light duty service :smile: [/quote]

And the fact that even wide open it couldn’t produce enough power to damage anything. :rofl:

A problem with rebuilt CVs is that by the time you realize yours needs to be replaced the boot has already split, the grease flung out and replaced by dirt and water. So with any rebuilt you’ve got to wonder, did the rebuilder adjust for not only the normal wear but also the excessive post boot split wear?

Looking at RockAuto CV prices for my 2004 Hyundai, a boot alone costs about $10, a rebuilt CV costs about $30 and an aftermarket new one costs about $60.
An additional $30-$50 for an all new, factory built aftermarket unit seems like a small price for the additional assurance and a lifetime warranty instead of the rebuilt’s 1 year warranty.

Did VW Bugs use CVs or did they use U joints? I haven’t seen the underside of a Bug since 1967.

They used CVs, at least by 1970.

In 1968 the stick shift automatic had 4 cv joints. In 1969 they all got them. In US that is.