Long term Storage

While I know it is not always the best for cars to store them long term, my job requires me to be away from my car. So I have heard a lot of different advice concerning the optimal gas tank level. Which is better: 1/4 a tank or full with fuel stabilizer. This car will be in storage for over 2 years. Oh, and I have a '68 VW bug going into storage as well as my '03 VW Jetta. Thanks!

Sell the 03 Jetta unless you have a real attachment.

How can you say that not knowing low long the OP means by “long term?”

If the Jetta were my car, and I was storing it for more than 18 months, I would do the following:

Fill the tank all the way up and add a double dose of fuel stabilizer. Then drive the car for a few miles to get the stabilized fuel in the whole system. As soon as you get back, siphon out as much fuel as you can and replace it with fresh fuel.

If you are talking about storing the Jetta for more than three years, I would sell it.

No matter what you do, don’t sell the 1968 Beetle. It’s a gem. However, someone should drive it while you are gone or the seals will dry up and it will need a major overhaul. I will be happy to drive it for you.

Fuel stabilizers only last 18 months tops. So after more than two years the gas will probably be bad. So if you don’t mind coming back to a vehicle that could have potential fuel system problems, store it. If you don’t wish to deal with the problem when you return, sell it.

Tester

This car will be in storage for over 2 years. (OP)

How can you say that not knowing low long the OP means by “long term?”

I would guess it means about two years. :slight_smile:

Two years is about as the limit. You did not say where you are. Cold and dry vs damp and hot storage makes a difference.

I agree that it may be best to sell it and then buy new when you return. While you are away the car will be loosing value and likely having a few problems develop.

If you are really attached to it, I suggest you find an safe location, remove the battery and store the battery in another location It makes it harder to steal, unless the thief just happens to have the right battery with him.

Cancel the collusion insurance, but not the comprehensive (thief - fire etc.) Comprehensive is cheap and worth the price.

OOPS! I missed that, even when I went looking for it. If it was a snake, it would have bitten me!

In that case, my advice is … the same:

Fill the tank all the way up and add a [i]double dose[/i] of fuel stabilizer. Then drive the car for a few miles to get the stabilized fuel in the whole system. As soon as you get back, siphon out as much fuel as you can and replace it with fresh fuel.

I also have advice about the tires, battery, and paint, but you only asked about the fuel, so I assume you know what you are doing.

I’d sell the car rather than store it for 2 years. It will continue to depreciate, even though you’re not driving it, and you’re likely to have fuel system problems when you come back. Not to mention rusted brakes, possibly bad tires, etc, etc.

Correct storage is more difficult than people think.

If you insist on storage - full tank with stabilizer. The less air in the tank, the better. Just don’t overfill it.