Local Shop Taking FOREVER to finish my rebuild

I certainly hope it’s not the case here, but I wonder about the possibility that they’ve spent all the money you paid them and don’t have the money to proceed. This of course leaves both you and car in limbo.

Many years ago in OK City an Air Force officer at Tinker AFB contacted a shop about building an engine for his classic Jaguar XKE. The shop owner said 5 grand up front which the officer paid and got a promise to have it done in a month.

Time drug on and every time the officer went by there nothing was done and the only thing present was a litany of excuses as to why.
So the officer goes by one Saturday and the building was cleaned out. The mechanic had skipped out and left the Jag sitting there untouched.

I hope I’m dead wrong on this scenario.

2 Likes

Well, it’s safe to say you’ve lost significant amount of time already and zero reassurance it’s not going to drag on indefinitely at this point. Only you can decide when it’s time to cut your losses and move on. The small claims court case will probably be heard before your car gets delivered :wink:

If you got the run around last visit, you’re being taken advantage of at this point. Should be no issue showing EVIDENCE of parts on order or sitting on a shelf and what is holding up progress on your job.

Do not fall for the- we underestimated the cost and need more money to finish gambit. That is another classic scam by unscrupulous businesses.

2 Likes

I appreciate everybody’s opinion and advice that I have gotten! I talked with the owner yesterday and he has assured me the first start up will be in two weeks ;D i snapped a few pictures of my brand new short block and will be back next week to take more pictures of his progress along the way! He is overly aware of how behind his shop is after they moved to a new location in February (still should not have taken this long) after apologizing for the wait and ZERO updates from his staff I feel much better. There is no excuse for this whole experience but I’m choosing to believe he is genuinely a good and honest guy who has been wayyyyyy behind and playing catch-up for the last 6 months. Thank you all again! I will in the future learn from my mistakes and try to never be put into this situation again :slight_smile:

Well, that’s a bit more reassuring. I certainly hope this has turned the corner for you and they follow through. Will be waiting to hear the good news and how sweet that first ride was…

1 Like

I hope the guy follows through on his latest promise.

Moving to a new shop is not a good reason for a lengthy delay like this.

1 Like

“luckily the dealership I bought it from recommended a warranty that after the fact I thought I had been ripped off, BUT actually ended up saving the day by paying for my oem rebuild!”??
the dealer recommended a warranty on a 1 yr old car?
what happened to factory warranty?

1 Like

I guess I didn’t clarify this haha it’s actually a 2008 Subaru Impreza Wrx Sti… 10 years old lol 2017 was just the year it broke down

I agree man, there is no excuse as to why it took this long… they are a small shop that takes on wayyyy too much work at once and needs a serious change in how they approach business ! I believe they know what they are doing when it comes to actually building the engine and I never want to work with a shop that sacrifices quantity for quality( which we have too many shops that do) but there’s gotta be a balance between how much time it takes to actually put out great builds. I’m putting this all behind me and looking forward tho, talking with the owner made me feel much better and now I’m extremely exited to see the progress on my build and specially for the first start up ;D

must be a sweet warranty.
rod knock means new shortblock? but warranty co will just throw in a longblock?
for $6k? someone is making money

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying

This whole time I was trying to figure out why somebody would spend that kind of money getting the engine rebuilt and modified on a 2017 Subaru

1 Like

Hahah yeah that’s my bad! It’s a 2008 and my warranty cost $3000 dollars, I thought I had been ripped off because the warranty was VERY strict on what is covered. I got soooo lucky because the only way the short block was covered was if it was caused by an internal lubricant failure. And since my car was consuming oil quicker than normal they agreed it should be covered! I have now made that $3000 back and more in repairs :slight_smile: