Living on the edge

When the price was bouncing around between $4 and $5 a gallon, I was filling up every day (mainly 120 miles a day and no gas guage), I considered it dollar cost averaging. So some days it would be $4.50 and then $5 but it averaged out anyway to $500 a month. I filled up yesterday at $1.99 and I think it cost $12. No place to go but I’ve got a full tank.

Bing, drive that thing down here! Is your son still on AMI?
I have been there every day, recently, to the beaches. Doing a 35 mile bicycle ride very early tomorrow a.m. out to Sarasota, St. Armands Circle, up Lido, Long Boat and AMI and back.

My son and my daughter-in-law are visiting. Weather is sunny, above normal temps in the eighties, and no rain in any forecasts. Gulf water is very nice.
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

1 Like

In tank high pressure fuel pumps must be lubricated and cooled by the fuel as it is passed through. Operating without any fuel means it is operating hot and metal to metal. Even when sputtering to a stop while running out of fuel the pump is sucking bubbles and taking a beating. It’s Russian roulette as to when the pump will totally fail. Test your car out to see how lucky you are @common_sense_answer.

3 Likes

I get all that. I’ve been living with this for decades. I’ve never had to replace a fuel pump for any reason, ever. Some of cars are over twenty years old. They have robust pumps. I’m certainly not going to start worrying about it now!

I’ve never replaced a fuel filter because it was clogged. Please explain how low fuel clogs a filter.

:nauseated_face: Envy, as in green with envy.
CSA

Who said low fuel clogs a fuel filter? Not me.

Sorry you got flagged, not sure why. The boat occasionally needs the fuel filter cleaned out, old style and serviceable, worst was the snowblower, had a pencil eraser sized brass filter in the bottom of the tank, rebuilt the carb, same issue, run 20 minutes and it dies, not to start again till the next day then repeat. Saw some debris at the bottom of the tank, decided to clean it out, and then saw it must be getting clogged. Cleaned it out and all has been good for the last 10 of 30 years. I have heard some fuel pumps can burn out when deprived of fuel as a coolant, Not minding your post and don’t take 1 flag personally.

I’m not envious

it just gets tiring reading your comments

And I’ll add I’m by far not the only one that feels that way

Yeah, he sent pictures. Very nice weather. Afraid to go back to Ohio. Around here not only no place to go but ya have to pack your own lunch. Nothing open. Of course nothing on the shelve to make a lunch with either. Ya, but those snakes.

Well I guess we can be a bunch of grumpy old coots.

I’ve replaced plenty of fuel pumps but not for sediment. The only thing I can see is that if you have a bunch of junk in the tank, low fuel will mean there is a greater concentration of the sediment. Most of mine just quit working though for one reason or another or the connections were bad.