Lexus SC430 hesitation

I have a 2002 Lexus SC430 that I have owned since it was new. Great car with virtually no problems until about 2 months ago. I have 53K miles on it. A couple months ago it sparadocialy started to hesitate. I back out of the garage when the car is cold, put the car in drive and give it gas. Sometimes it hesitates before it kicks in. Sometimes this will happen when I am a block or two from my house. It is almost like the gas isn’t getting to the engine, then it kicks in. It has never stalled out. A week ago, while I was driving 360 miles out of town, it did this same hesitatation at least 6 times while I was going 80 mph on the highway and at least 100 miles into my trip. While driving at 80 mph with my foot on the gas, the car would decelerate a bit, before it would kick back in. This would last from 2-6 seconds. Lexus dealer could not duplicate the problem and since it never stalled they have no computer data, so they were useless to find a problem. Help!?

Buffalo Mike

When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? If it hasn’t been changed, you might try that.

I have a 2002 Lexus is300 and bought it in 2005. I have been experiencing the above problem for approximately 2 years and it is progressively getting worse. I have had 4 mechanics (all reccomended) take a look at it and no one has been able to find the problem. There has never been a check engine light. Only code that I have had has been oxygen sensor–twice.

Here are things that have been done–changed fuel and air filter. Checked spark plugs and wires. Cleaned fuel injectors. Put engine cleaner in gas. Alwasy use premium. MAF has been replaced. New battery.

Up until this fall, the hesitation occurred when the engine was hot. So, last winter it was fine. This fall however it is still doing it. Never a problem with starting. Turns over easily.

The current suggestion is the throttle body. One of your post suggests a throttle body reset. Everyone else has suggested a replacement. I am dragging my feet as it is an expensive repair. I would love to keep this car as it only has 79K on it, but am thinking that It might be better to cut my losses?!

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you

Hi; Too long to post but seems like this guy has an inexpensive alternative and tried what you have, too.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/maintenance/379684-engine-hesitation-power-loss-sluggish-acceleration-potential-fix.html