Lexus GS 450h

Looking for owner experience with Lexus GS 450h. I’ve owned one for almost four years, love the car, have had minimal maintenance costs. Now at 70,000 miles; extended warranty expiring soon and looking at a more expensive warranty cost – or trading in. Any owners post-70,000 miles?

I choose door #3: Keep the car, bank the extended warranty cost into savings and keep the car. If this has a timing belt, that may be the next major cost coming up that you need to do. I have kept other cars to 250K miles with few repair costs (as opposed to normal maintenance costs). No engine work, no transmission work needed.

Did you get anything out of your extended warranty cost in the first 70K miles? My guess is probably not.

Thank you for your post. You are correct – I got nothing from the extended warranty. Apart from the Lexus valve-spring recall, I have had zero problems with the car. I’ll check on the timing belt.

Pretty rare car, you might google ‘gs 450h forum’ and see what they say there.

[i] extended warranty expiring soon and looking at a more expensive warranty cost -- or trading in.[/i] 

[b]  Why in the world would you limit it to those two choices?[/b]  Unless you really like spending money, you just pay for repairs and maintenance as they are needed.

Extended warranties end up costing more than they save almost every time.  On average people paying for extended warranties (they are not really warranties, rather insurance, not warranty.) pay more than twice as much as those who pay for the work themselves.  

Well any car can have major expensive repairs.  

The profit to the salesman and company is usually over 50%. So for every $1,000 you spend the insurance company has less than $500 to pay for repairs or they will loose money, something insurance companies do not do. Some people will get nothing back and some will get a lot more than they pay.  Most will get far less. In addition you need to keep in mind that the insurer has worded it to eliminate as many expensive things as they can.

Remember that the seller is out to make money and they get to write the rules and set the price.  They are not going to sell them at a loss so one way or another they are going to have you pay more than they will pay out.  

Would you gamble with a car dealer who gets to set all the rules and knows all the odds?   

Your decision has to do with the value of the piece of mind it gives you. If that is worth the cost then buy it. Don't expect it to cover everything however, most are written to keep cost down and exempt what they know will cost them money. 

Good Luck

What Is The Model-Year Of This Car ?

CSA

No timing belt for a 2008 GS-450h according to Gates. I imagine that all GS-450h’s were created equal.

You can easily get more than double the current mileage out of this car and with a low maintenance cost hopefully in the future. Why get something else since you already have a winner. You may start to have some problems with certain things later on but if you can deal with that you will save yourself a lot of money over more new car payments. I assume the car is almost, or paid for by now and you can put a little of the saved money into a repair fund when something does happen. Put the money you would need for a new extended warranty in the bank for when a repair does come up. Unless you just want to have a new car I think you will be way ahead financially to keep what you have for a long time. You have a great car and keeping it will let you get more value out of it that you have already paid for.

From some info I saw it looks like the hybrid parts are covered by warranty for 8 years/100k miles.