Lexus 2007GS 350 AWD Transmission

My car is 7k short of its drive train warranty expiring. I noticed a rumbling vibration when the transmission shifted between 3-4 gear at approximately 20-25 mph. Took it into the dealer, and their expert rode with me and verified that it indeed was vibrating, but that he had never seen this issue on the GS350AWD. He said he would have to check around the country to see if others had this problem. Four days later, he advised me that he was told to flush the transmission 2-3 times and for me to drive it about 1k miles to see if that fixed it. Well, it doesn’t do it anymore, but I’m not sure why, or that it won’t do it again just after the warranty expires at 70k miles. I certainly don’t want to look at a 4-6,000.00 transmission replacement after the warranty expires. The dealer obviously doesn’t want to incur the expense either, under warranty. Even though the transmission does not rumble or vibrate anymore, should I ask for the replacement anyway?

“Even though the transmission does not rumble or vibrate anymore, should I ask for the replacement anyway?”

You can ask for anything that you want.
Actually getting what you want is something else entirely, and you run the risk of making yourself look very foolish by asking for something that is not possible.

Even though Lexus does tend to be very good with customer service, I can’t imagine any car company providing a new transmission under warranty when there are no symptoms currently.

@VDC agree
"The dealer obviously doesn’t want to incur the expense either, under warranty. Even though the transmission does not rumble or vibrate anymore, should I ask for the replacement anyway? "

First, the dealer incurs NO expense on warranty items. The dealer checks with the manufacturer and if approve for warranty work they will be fully reimbursed. One dealer service rep. told me that cars that were too reliable limited their warranty work which they depended on for regular income. So, if you have a request of this nature, make it with the manufacturer, not the dealer. They will do nothing they will not get paid for and the manufacturer does all the paying. The dealer may not even intercede in this case where the symptoms were fixed.

try “Lexus Owner’s resource” on line and go from there but eventually, talk to a REAL person at Lexus with a real name…but don’t expect anything but good will. If perchance the manufacturer ever agreed to a new trans ( a first IMO), the dealer would be happy, not disappointed to replace it.

Guess you could say the most profitable cars for dealers are “unreliable models that sell well”…it means profit on both ends.

While I don’t want this to sound like a mutual admiration society, I agree with dagosa’s comments regarding warranty coverage.

If the OP looks at the wording of his various warranties (there are several), he will see that the car is warranted by Lexus/Toyota Motor Company, not by “XYZ Lexus of Anytown USA”.

The dealership merely acts as an agent for the manufacturer when it comes to warranty matters, and the mfr is the party that pays ultimately–if there is a problem that is covered by warranty. Unfortunately for the OP, “I want a replacement for my properly-functioning transmission” is not something that will qualify for warranty coverage.

“I want a replacement for my properly-functioning transmission” is not something that will qualify for warranty coverage. "

Especially when at some point, the manufacturer will talk to the dealer who will have to stipulate in writing…,they couldn’t fix it. I think OP got their answer when the “expert” told them to just service the transmission. You can bet Lexus techs. were notified and asked what to do. No one said…“sure, replace the trans on our dime.” IMHO, the Lexus home office will have their trans complaint on file. I have dealt successfully with “out of warranty items”, (nothing like this), and all it takes is convincing one important person on the other end of the line…“promise you will buy a fleet of Lexus next time around…”

Buddy had 2 yr old Lincoln sedan he bought used. Paid 2k for extended warranty. 6 months later trans started shifted oddly. So, dealer replaced torque conv and valve body for 2k. He said that was proof extra warranty was good idea. I said he broke even.

Sorry I misspoke. The transmission is still vibrating, but significantly less. The dealer said to bring it back in, they will place on computer again, and if it verifies continued vibration, they will replace transmission. Thanks for your comments.