Lemon Cars: Which "lemon" did you own that really was a GREAT car for you?

Just to clarify this for those who are puzzled by the reference to a '76 Hunter, that was a Hillman model, made in the UK. It was sold in several countries, but the US was not one of them. As a result, most Americans have probably never seen one.

Ihad a 1982 Pontiac Phoenix (4-speed, six cylinder) that I drove for 12 years and loved it, despite what Consumer Reports had to say.

I own a Chevette (currently trying to get it to run again). It’s been the best car I’ve ever owned, until the harmonic balancer slipped off the alignment pins and (probably) bent the crankshaft.

In high school I had a '90 Mercury Topaz. It only had 46,000 miles on it and ran like garbage. Unless of course, the odometer and turned over and it had 146,000 but I doubt it. It was a white car, but not really a pure white, more like a Wafflehouse bathroom white.

Needless to say I wasn’t fond of the old thing but it never left me stranded and it suited my needs for an ignorant 18 year old just needing transportation that wasn’t the bus. Sometimes it had to be put into neutral in order to get it running. ha ha.

1997 Chevy Lumina LS sedan. Rated by Comsumer Reports as mediocre, with a less than average repair record. We bought it used in 2000 at 82000 miles and still own it at 189000 miles. The lifters were noisy on cold start when we bought it, and still are, but slightly more so. I delivered Pizza in this car for the last three years, averages 18mpg in town. I, to date, have put in one new alternator, serpantine belt tensioner, a couple sensors, and regular maintainance; oil changes, brakes, coolent, etc. This is the cheapest car I have ever owned, including Honda’s and Toyota’s. Note, the oil is synthetic and has been since I bought it, and I used Slick 50 from the git-go.
The only real ‘lemon’ I ever owned was a 1990 Honda Civic. Constant repair issues, throughout the car, hidden oil and coolant lines breaking, wiring shorts, overheating even when full of coolant. I finally gave it away.
BEst cars I ever owned were a 1976 Honda Civic, and a 1990 Mazda 323 with Protege seats and wheels. Both went over 200000 with minimal repairs, I sold them for what I paid for them, and both are still running. Best truck is a 1972 Ford F250 with a 300 six, my dad bought it new.

Added information about the Ford Firestone tires…

http://www.firestone-tire-recall.com/pages/overview.html

1987 Dodge Lancer, bought new, and still running daily at 198k miles. “K” body style. Only 99 horsepower and lots of flywheel, but that suits me. Never had
CA smog fail; fuel economy like new. Transmission is fine (simple 3 speed).
Has had routine aux. parts replaced: alternator, starter (twice), radiator,
pwr steering pump, MAP sensor, fuel hoses, timing belt, alt. belt, CV boots. One
major overhaul for $1100 (flywheel damaged by gorilla mechanic). No A/C after 10 years; never fixed cause would need to retrofit.

Over 21 years of daily service. In all, I’d say I got my $13k out of it, and then some.

Would I buy a Chrysler today? Sadly no, but only because fuel economy sucks
across their entire product line.

I own one of the infamous 1st generation Neons (Dodge, in this case). Do you know how many times I have driven by a mistreated example? A friend’s went through 2 transmissions due to a lack of fluid. The paint is the worst.
Seeing the ravages of time on other Neons, I have taken the time to sand, prime, and repaint any rusty or chipped spots and wash it every two months or so. It is still a beaut at 11 years.
I bought a 100,000 mile vehicle from a trusted coworker who kept her service receipts (I looked over them). I have had only routine maintenance that I perform on my own (except the brakes and fluid flushes). I want to keep it around until I’m ready for kids (7 years). That’ll put it at 220,000 miles. Oh, and I’m a 23 year old female (just to shatter some stereotypes). I love my little blue lemon!

You can’t say that about the Vega…If you owned that vehicle past 50k miles then you had some MAJOR problem…PERIOD…

I too liked the concept of the Vega. It was a fun car to drive. Stylish (even by todays standards). If it wasn’t so unreliable it would have been my favorite car EVER.

The Neon had SOOOO many problems…My brother-in-law had just made Plant manager at Chryco when the Neon was introduced. He bought one for his son that year when he started college. It was maintained 100% by Chryco dealership…It was JUNK before my nephew graduated college 4 years later.

I owned a 1968 Volkswagen Bus, complete with camping interior, the ever so rare Adventurewagon conversion. I traveled all over the east coast with it, Never left me stranded with any thing more then a dead battery. mainly from me leaving the radio on.
I currently own a 1990 Vanagon GL with 170,000 miles that i removed from a junkyard after 4 years of neglect, I replaced the thermostat and the cat, I love driving it, and have almost put 30,000 miles on it, only replacing the battery, tires and brakes.