LED Headlights - good, bad, etc?

I knew there was something I liked about you :wink:
I spent the first 1/3 of my career designing entire solutions including the software/firmware. Then I leapt over entirely to the software side although my area of expertise is in embedded, real-time, multitasking for mission and safety critical applications. I can still mostly keep up with the hardware guys though.

You may get a kick out of this- my neighbor’s son is a system level programmer and was wearing this the other day. Too funny!

UX342

Likewise, I have a heart-warming feel when I talk to somebody who can do entire solution in one-man-shop :slight_smile:
The last time I was doing it, it ended up with [rugged] Android phone connected to “IOIO board” embedded into a custom PCB, sensing and controlling a number of vehicle circuits for fleet management application. I designed it all (hardware, software), then let other guys to take over when they started to add scenarios. That was a project I loved in its entirety: building your own mini-universe :slight_smile:
Having no formal education in electronics, I knew I’m not doing it in mission-critical confines from get-go, but hey, it is was “either I do it as I know or it will not be done at all” :slight_smile: I did my best, but then added a number of “compensating/watchdog” functionality on software and hardware sides, which proved to be handy in production.

Loved your shirt! Trying not to live by that standards, but sometimes it’s the only thing you can do

As if I needed another reason to dislike bicyclists, last night a group came toward me with multiple blinding LED lights.

1 Like

Sounds like the problem is yours rather than theirs.

with invention of LEDs, bicyclist take revenge for all that prior years of vehicle owners having an upper hand ? :slight_smile:

So, you believe bicyclists have a right to blind car drivers. Interesting…

;-]

1 Like

As a former cyclist for many years and a driver for over half a century, you really need to do something about this unresolved anger before you hurt someone.

LEDs have been in use by cyclists for many years, and making cyclists more visible has no doubt saved a great many of them from close calls by drivers… many like you, who simply hate cyclists. Probably because you can terrorize them with impunity, your car being so much more dangerous to them than their bikes are to you. It’s a bullying emotion, pure and simple.

wow, @the_same_mountainbike, I should have really stepped on painful toe to get such a sharp reaction for clearly making a joke

ok, here comes the disclamer

I’m cycling myself, every week when it is warm outside, for hours, so it would be a little bit strange for me to hate the folks I belong to, would it not? besides, I did not yet notice any split personality in myself, but hey… maybe I gave any clear indication I have to go for the psychiatrist?

now, talking in more serious tone, I’m simply afraid to cycle on busy public roads: I see way too many drivers who routinely drive in the middle in between the vehicle late and dedicated bicycle lane where I live or get the right side off to the road, probably doing best texting on their phones :frowning: I’m giving way and an extra cushion room when I see cyclists and let them some room at intersections to be visible by others.

not sure how exactly I gave you something to count me to “angry haters” (?)

1 Like

Apologies. It was actually Insightful who made the comment

The names got mixed up with the “quote” format.

The led lights used by bicyclists are in no way bright enough to blind drivers, with the possible exception of those with advanced cataracts. I rode with these lights for years, so I know whereof I speak. Weight is important to a cyclist, and a light powerful enough to blind a motorist would require a power pack too heavy to haul around.

Comments that spew hate toward cyclists upset me. Cyclists are defenseless against motorists, and I’ve had my life endangered by motorists who do so just out of anger for cyclists, when all I was doing was going for a ride bothering nobody. A friend was riding the road when a car came by and a passenger hit him across the back with a stick. He suffered serious injuries. I’ve had a car physically force me down an embankment intentionally.

Yeah, comments that spew hate toward cyclists upset me.

1 Like

This is laughable.

I don’t have cataracts.

Why was the guy behind me blipping his high beams at these same bicyclists?

Have someone explain Google to you…one of many hits:

At first I thought it was a jacked-up pickup with extra lights.

;-]

2 Likes

Congratulations, you have found there are regulars here who simply cannot take a joke.

;-]

1 Like

Since it is in GB, I’ll bet those bright lights are metric lights.

I used to ride my bike in the dark without any lights on when I commuted. Mainly because using the ole generator on the wheel took too much effort, but secondly it was midnight and just didn’t want to call attention to myself that late at night. No traffic though. When we first got married and had only one car, the wife worked days and I worked nights. So I’d deliver the car in the afternoon and bike to work, then bike home again at midnight. That didn’t last long though so paid $150 for my 61 Corvair. Still got the bike hanging in the garage but needs new tires.

Those are words to live by, especially for General Motors car production. :slightly_smiling_face:

Google is your authority on lighting? Now THAT is laughable!

It is possible to create a system of bicycle lighting that’s extremely bright… anything’s possible if you’re determined enough… but standard bicycle lights are not.

But bright lights or no bright lights, spewing venom at bicyclists for no reason is spewing venom, and we should all stand up for the underdog when we read someone spewing venom at them.
You don’t need “another reason to hate cyclists”; you need a reason to let the hate go.

You need to look up the difference between “hate” and “dislike.”

And how my complaint about bright lights became “spewing venom” can only be answered by your psychiatrist.

;-]

1 Like

Ah, nasty comments as responses. Telling.
That’s okay. I’d rather you vent your “dislike” out at me than at some poor guy cycling down the road.
I think I’ll leave this thread. Get help for your unwarrented hate (oh, I’m sorry, “dislike”).

Reality bites…

;-]

At least the ones I saw weren’t flashing:

(Oooo…that pesky Google again.)

1 Like

Hey, after spending $2000 for a bike, then helmet, goggles, flashy spandex, riding shoes and gloves, what’s a little more for bright lights? All to save a little gas money. No offense to any riders out there but I had a $100 bike, jeans, and tennis shoes and did just fine. I just have to laugh when I see these guys all suited up with that serious look on their face riding like the devil is after them.

You can’t wear a suit riding a bike and the helmet messes the hair up, plus you get all sweaty. So we’d have to pay for the guys to shower and change after their eco friendly ride to work. I understand. I did it for a week too when I lost my parking stall in a bet. I’d pack the bike in the trunk, drive 50 miles, park, then bike the final mile to work.

1 Like